Wireless meat thermometer

Hi, 

Can anyone recommend a good wireless meat thermometer for using with a Komodo Joe?

I would like to monitor long-cooking meat joints ideally from an app, without having to go to the Komodo every few minutes using a manual probe.

I looked through some options but I thought this community would be the best place to ask.

thanks

Depends on your definition of wireless. The Meater probe is truly wireless, where the probe is connected via Bluetooth to a base that connects to Wi-Fi and thus the internet. Reviews of the app are pretty positive. This true wireless setup allows use even on a rotisserie. The Fireboard uses probes that connect with wires to a base that connects to Wi-Fi, much like the aforementioned Meater. Fireboard app also has positive reviews and a number of members here, including @John Setzler, speak very highly of it. I have a Thermoworks Smoke, which is wireless in the same sense as the Fireboard, but doesn’t communicate with an app, so it’s just a thermometer with a remote monitor and alarm if temps go above or below settings. Others with firsthand experience can speak better to the Meater and Fireboard. One other unique feature of the Meater is that a single probe gives you both internal temp of your meat and ambient temp of the grill, so you don’t need to clip a probe onto the grate.

Thanks @jark87 I looked at the Meater and that looks ideal except it seems to only monitor to 275C which isn't the max for a Komodo, that said it is probably not an issue as you wouldn't leave it that high for long generally. I will check out the Fireboard, thanks!

4 minutes ago, tonytag said:

I looked at the Meater and that looks ideal except it seems to only monitor to 275C which isn't the max for a Komodo

Yes, most probes have a temp limit well below what your grill is rated for. They’re really not intended for high heat cooks, which are usually relatively short. They’re intended for long, slow cooks where you need to maintain and monitor a steady ambient temp over a long period and want to keep an eye on the internal temp of your meat without lifting the lid (and losing heat) to probe with an instant read thermometer. The associated apps give you good data, again over the entirety of the cook, so that you can adjust cooking methods as needed.

Good luck with your search!

I bought mine for about $35 at Home Depot.  It consists of a unit that sits outside the firebox, and a second unit that fits easily in my pocket.  Two AAA batteries for each.  (I also found it necessary to remove those batteries when not in use, since otherwise it "trickle drains" the batteries to zero.)

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of these and it works great.  It supports 4 probes and comes with 2. It even comes with probe organizers.   It connects to your wifi and can be seen from anywhere you have a connection. If no internet connection, it still connects point to point. Love it. 

https://www.flameboss.com/product/flame-boss-wifi-thermometer/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1N2TBhCOARIsAGVHQc7EWONQw6ust1cEZU33CavC26EWq47rtFStBTSP4HrTscmEFEIxNckaAsErEALw_wcB

• 2 months later...