Help! How to fix/patch chips in ceramic?

SmokeMaker

Hello all!

I have a Louisiana Grills 22" ceramic Kamado, purchased new in June of 2019, and despite being covered over the winter, it now has some nasty looking chips in the ceramic spring (see pic please). I am wondering:

Would this possibly be covered by the manufacturer's warranty? I looked on the Louisiana Grills website tonight, and couldn't find any Kamados for sale, and no information on the warranty for a Kamado. I could only find info on their warranty for their pellet grills.

If not covered under the warranty, how can I patch or repair this damage? Most of the posts I've found are talking about breaks or cracks all the way through the ceramic. I have gouges or large chips in the finish and surface of the ceramic. 

I did fire it up yesterday for the first time this year, half expecting the whole thing to crack catastrophically. It did not. I ran it at about 650-675 F for a good six hours, and then just let it die down on it's own overnight. It seemed to do well, except I noticed I have some small, hairline cracks that don't look like much, but I could see whips of smoke coming through those cracks, so they must go all the way through the ceramic.

Help! I have a pork belly curing that I had hoped to smoke in a few days. Is there a good way to fix this damage so it is both safe to use and doesn't get any worse?

Thank you for your help!

-SmokeMaker

Kamado Damage.HEIC

5 hours ago, SmokeMaker said:

see pic please

I couldn't get the pics to download.  

5 hours ago, SmokeMaker said:

I could see whips of smoke coming through those cracks

That sounds like a real issue that you should talk to the manufacturer about!  A pic might help, but the words themselves are worrisome...

That looks really ugly. At first I thought it was just paint, but if you also have cracks with smoke coming through, then that's a real issue.

You should talk to Louisiana Grills. I don't think they have lifetime warranty on their cookers, but it might be 5 years on the ceramic - and if not, they should take pity on you anyway. That damage should happen....

(I have pasted your pic below, so others can see it)

image.thumb.png.ea765b01b7962d47cd869eb19aacff9a.png

49 minutes ago, adm said:

(I have pasted your pic below, so others can see it)

Thank you so much for reposting my picture!!!

And thank you both for your reply. I will try to reach out to Louisiana Grills today, but honestly I don't have much hope. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I'm guessing they won't do anything for me.

Strangely, ever since the day I bought this grill I have been getting emails from Louisiana Grills, and I am almost 100% positive that's because I registered the product for the warranty, and that's why I'm on their email list. No part of me would have ever just signed up to their making list for any other reason. Yesterday I went to their website and tried to log in, and it says they have no record of my email address (same one they send all their marketing emails to). That doesn't give me a lot of confidence right there, but I will try to contact them. 

Any other thoughts on if or how this can be fixed? Is it dangerous to use in this condition, even at like 200 degrees for a few hours for a pork belly?

Thank you for your help!

-SmokeMaker 

I am sure it will be just fine to cook with low and slow. I certainly wouldn't worry about that, but I probably wouldn't be doing 900F Neapolitan pizza on it.

I just looked at the user manual on the Louisiana Grills website. You should be in luck - they offer a limited lifetime warranty on the ceramic parts and five years warranty on the metal parts. See below. Your picture certainly looks like material defect to me. Give them a call, send them the photo and they should send you a new grill.

Good luck!

image.thumb.png.2a659752accefeca2910132c9efa3533.png

15 minutes ago, adm said:

I am sure it will be just fine to cook with low and slow. I certainly wouldn't worry about that, but I probably wouldn't be doing 900F Neapolitan pizza on it.

I just looked at the user manual on the Louisiana Grills website. You should be in luck - they offer a limited lifetime warranty on the ceramic parts and five years warranty on the metal parts. See below. Your picture certainly looks like material defect to me. Give them a call, send them the photo and they should send you a new grill.

Good luck!

image.thumb.png.2a659752accefeca2910132c9efa3533.png

Hi! Thank you for the reply! I actually just got off the phone with someone from Dansons, and it did not go well for me. I sent her several photos of the damage, I even have damage on the INSIDE of the grill I hadn't noticed before. I sent them several photos, but of course she said it's not covered because it's most likely weather related. Weather related on the INSIDE?? And it was covered with the cover they provided me lol! I guess Dansons makes grills that are not intended to be outdoors??

She also told me no one there has access to whether or not I registered the product back when I bought it (which I'm sure I did). That seems very strange to me, but she told me no one can look that up. 

Right now I am starting a fire in it, I am going to take a video of smoke coming all the way through the cracks from the inside to the outside, and I'm going to call back and send them that video. I believe that this is bad ceramic. I have a crack on the inside that I can just touch and the material crumbles. Maybe they will see it my way, I doubt it, but I'd like to try once more.

And ideas for how to patch or fix this damage? I'd really like to get another season or two out of it if I can.

Thank you all for the replies!

-SM

This is just my opinion, so take it as you wish. It looks like your grill is sitting on a wood deck. I would not start a fire in the grill if there are cracks that go all the way through. Even at a low and slow temperature, if one of those cracks gives way and drops burning coals on the wooden deck, you will have bigger problems than a cracked grill.

2 minutes ago, Golf Griller said:

This is just my opinion, so take it as you wish. It looks like your grill is sitting on a wood deck. I would not start a fire in the grill if there are cracks that go all the way through. Even at a low and slow temperature, if one of those cracks gives way and drops burning coals on the wooden deck, you will have bigger problems than a cracked grill.

Yes, good advice, thank you! I had thought about that, but I've decided to roll the dice since my damage all seems to be in the top of the grill, the firebox and bottom seem fine. And I am right here today to closely watch things. But thank you for your suggestion!

-SM

1 hour ago, SmokeMaker said:

Hi! Thank you for the reply! I actually just got off the phone with someone from Dansons, and it did not go well for me. I sent her several photos of the damage, I even have damage on the INSIDE of the grill I hadn't noticed before. I sent them several photos, but of course she said it's not covered because it's most likely weather related. Weather related on the INSIDE?? And it was covered with the cover they provided me lol! I guess Dansons makes grills that are not intended to be outdoors??

She also told me no one there has access to whether or not I registered the product back when I bought it (which I'm sure I did). That seems very strange to me, but she told me no one can look that up. 

Right now I am starting a fire in it, I am going to take a video of smoke coming all the way through the cracks from the inside to the outside, and I'm going to call back and send them that video. I believe that this is bad ceramic. I have a crack on the inside that I can just touch and the material crumbles. Maybe they will see it my way, I doubt it, but I'd like to try once more.

And ideas for how to patch or fix this damage? I'd really like to get another season or two out of it if I can.

Thank you all for the replies!

-SM

Well, their warranty text does not say anything about weather damage being excluded. And it is reasonable to expect that a grill is kept outside. Their manual does say to use the cover, which you did. So she was BS'ing you.

Do you have a proof of purchase? Could be credit card statement, phone record of purchase etc? You may need to threaten them a bit, but they should cover you as it certainly looks like a manufacturing or material defect.

That's very poor customer service from them. Maybe tell them you'll be posting your experience on Twitter, Facebook and various BBQ forums. Here in the UK we have the Consumer Rights Act which protects consumers against #### like this. You may have something similar such as Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

1 hour ago, adm said:

Well, their warranty text does not say anything about weather damage being excluded. And it is reasonable to expect that a grill is kept outside. Their manual does say to use the cover, which you did. So she was BS'ing you.

Do you have a proof of purchase? Could be credit card statement, phone record of purchase etc? You may need to threaten them a bit, but they should cover you as it certainly looks like a manufacturing or material defect.

That's very poor customer service from them. Maybe tell them you'll be posting your experience on Twitter, Facebook and various BBQ forums. Here in the UK we have the Consumer Rights Act which protects consumers against #### like this. You may have something similar such as Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.

Thank you again for your reply. I'm not sure about what (if any) consumer rights laws we may have here that might help. I agree that the warranty said nothing about weather, I noticed that too. Unfortunately I do not have the original bill of sale and though I know the exact date of purchase (because I have pictures of us bringing it home and setting it up), my credit card company does not let me search back that far. But the grill is less than 3 years old, was covered, sits when not in use under the soffett of the house. It's not like it's out directly in the weather, and it's not like I live in Antarctica or someplace. And it was covered with their supplied cover. Also, this didn't happen over the winter, it was fnie earlier this Spring, this happened in relatively minor weather just this Spring. I have a friend that lives locally and he has the same grill just the Pit Boss version, his is many years older, and this didn't happen to his grill. And I've got damage on the inside that I don't see how could possible be from the weather. 

I'm going to try calling them again once more and see if they can help. I don't even want a new grill, but ideally I'd like them to replace just the top of my grill, or at the least get me some high temp paint or some way to patch this. So far they haven't been much help :-(

Again, if anyone does have ideas on how to patch or repair these cracks and chips, I'd appreciate your suggestions. 

Thanks again!

-SmokeMaker

Is there maybe a Dansons rep that's active on this forum? I can post more than that one picture (if someone tells me how to lol!), but the damage is fairly severe. And again, I'm not looking for a new grill, I just would like either a new top or some paint or patch material to prevent this from getting worse. Does anyone know of a Dansons rep I may be able to reach out to directly?

Thanks again everyone!

-SM

So Sorry for your situation, but KG is not affiliated with any kamado maker. Even though your call did not go well, your only apparent avenue to seek help is through the Danson company itself. Personally, I would take pictures of both the inside and the outside and if you can,  one that shows smoke exiting through the cracks, and contact them again seeking a supervisor or manager to make your case. I would also send them a written document stating the same info. Honestly hope things go well for you regarding this. 

30 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

So Sorry for your situation, but KG is not affiliated with any kamado maker. Even though your call did not go well, your only apparent avenue to seek help is through the Danson company itself. Personally, I would take pictures of both the inside and the outside and if you can, get it one that shows smoke exiting through the cracks, and contact them again seeking a supervisor or manager to make your case. I would also send them a written document stating the same info. Honestly hope things go well for you regarding this. 

Thank you for your reply! To be honest, I don't really think that they will do anything for me, but I am willing to try once more. I really started this thread hoping someone would be able to tell me how I can try to patch this so it doesn't get worse. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

-SM

I had a spot on my old vision that was similar to the spots in your post, although they were superficial and did not go through the ceramic wall. Vision sent me a bottle of heat resistant touch up paint. I thought their repair would be inadequate, but it held up for years until I finally gave the kamado away when I bought a new one. As far as the smoke leak goes, there are some posts of kamado restorations which use a heat resistant patching compound JB Weld. I have seen posts where this was used to seal cracks which appeared much bigger than yours. Check out some posts on kamado restorations and hopefully you will find something that will give you some insight on how to deal with this if the company maintains its current position. 

This goes back a few years, but I recall a repair where, using a Dremel tool, the owner ground an angled channel on either side of the crack resulting in "V" shaped channel with the crack at the center, and then filled and smoothed the channel with JB Weld.  I believe the thinking was that the "V" channel provided more surface for the JB Weld to adhere to and allowed a more structurally sound repair.