Son’s BDay Cook

So the mission, if you decide to accept it, is to cook about 40 chicken wings, 24 hot dogs, 18 hot metts and 15 burgers in a 90 minute window from the end of Church to the start of the party. Gave the Masterbuilt lump a try, which looks and cooks exactly like the pre-Big Block KJ lump. 

673E7A6E-4173-4BBB-AD06-2E0E698682D6.thumb.jpeg.06262976ec18f5fda8238da2c5a5dec7.jpeg

90D27076-18E8-43C3-AE60-04E38BE8A0AE.thumb.jpeg.ee5cf28cb36bd4518e4ea311b3d6d080.jpeg

840921BC-B79A-41AB-82F6-70241D67F22A.thumb.jpeg.5d545d741ca1b9f97d88918ffa7ab073.jpeg

81ABDC90-5DF8-472B-8CCD-C4EFCEDC8644.thumb.jpeg.852a2e43d53262845b908aed7deea34a.jpeg

BCE3A4FB-7100-431E-BEDE-2700FAD3C494.thumb.jpeg.c3ca9f05e5ce2678293d94359711ad38.jpeg

4023F84A-6AD3-49CC-A335-28D65222EF48.thumb.jpeg.3cfb315cd046284bacea7e6b696eb9f3.jpeg

chicken wings were the star. I normally “threaten” everyone not to add BBQ sauce. Today sans admonition, they all ate them naked and loved them.

My personal fav was the burger. Purposely undercooked them due to the transport time to his house and trusted the carryover heat to bring them to medium / medium well. Still extremely juicy which I’d never really experienced in a burger eaten close to 90 minutes after they were cooked. 

Overall a great day. Now, he’s off to Jamaica. 

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

On 4/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, TKOBBQ said:

Ambitious cook glad it turned out as planned.  It looks good.

Thanks, I started the grill about 9am and set the vents for it to reach and hold the low 200's until I got home @ 1pm. That running start made all the difference.

On 4/25/2022 at 3:49 PM, Boater said:

Somehow, I missed my invitation. :rofl:

Looks like a feast.

As my family is prone to do, the RSVP by date was totally ignored and many were even calling the morning of... smh... We actually could have used a bit more food but:

1. I don't know how I could have pulled it off in that time frame (I was already cooking in dress slacks, shirt and tie), and
  2. I refuse to stress over those who can't be bothered to let you know they are coming in a situation where a RSVP is requested. :-D

Thanks, is that a serious question??? A mett or mettwurst is a type of German sausage. Larger than hot dogs and differently spiced. Most often, all pork but may be a pork and beef mix. Hot metts have red pepper flake and perhaps even other 'hot' spices in them.

that's interesting! The only Mettwurst around here is the spreadable kind! It's definitely not liverwurst, but it wouldn't hold up on a grill. I've bought the spreadable kind a few times, but I have to be in a really "German" mood to eat it. Nice slice of German rye, with some cultured butter and Mettwurst, yum.

Also, I have never heard of hot metts either. Must be regional? 

560-METTWURST-scaled.jpeg

1 hour ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Thanks, is that a serious question??? A mett or mettwurst is a type of German sausage. Larger than hot dogs and differently spiced. Most often, all pork but may be a pork and beef mix. Hot metts have red pepper flake and perhaps even other 'hot' spices in them.

Never heard of them, like a bratwurst then but spicey?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, fotoflux said:

that's interesting! The only Mettwurst around here is the spreadable kind! It's definitely not liverwurst, but it wouldn't hold up on a grill. I've bought the spreadable kind a few times, but I have to be in a really "German" mood to eat it. Nice slice of German rye, with some cultured butter and Mettwurst, yum.

Also, I have never heard of hot metts either. Must be regional? 

Well, Cincinnati definitely has strong "German" influences, as does Columbus. But, the orginal mettwurst was actually raw pork. Here the mettwurst is going to be casing. According to wiki (take it with a grain of salt):

"Bratts are typically mild in flavor, with spices such as ginger, nutmeg, and caraway. Metts are made with pork or sometimes beef and pork, and are highly seasoned with pepper and coriander."

In Texas, also heavily German influenced, I had never heard the term "metts". They are probably more akin to what we call hot guts or hot links or even the milder kielbasa (think polish sausage).

2 hours ago, A.O. said:

Never heard of them, like a bratwurst then but spicey?

In Cincinnati, brats in tend to be more of the blond variety. Much, much less flavorful than metts, imo and basically made to eat with sauerkraut: 

image.png.7d4a9b4eea4f471bbaba37e966668d07.png

But there also the Johnsonville (Wisconsin style) brats, beer brats. These can stand alone with just mustard, imo.

image.thumb.png.c4d1bff385df2f20ee1c7aae38e59dea.png

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

I grew up in the Chicago burbs, and in my youth those "white" brats were easily available and much loved! I've not had or even seen one in years till your pic above, I've looked many times to find some to no avail, wish I could find some.

1 hour ago, A.O. said:

I grew up in the Chicago burbs, and in my youth those "white" brats were easily available and much loved! I've not had or even seen one in years till your pic above, I've looked many times to find some to no avail, wish I could find some.

Aldi has them seasonally, if you have one near you.

5 hours ago, A.O. said:

They are everywhere here. Kroger carries them. If you have one near you, at least pre-COVID, they allowed you to place custom orders for brands they carry (ala Johnsonville Stadium Brats, Boar's Head, Glier's Octoberfest Brats, Queen City, Blue Grass). But with the supply chain as it's been, who knows whether they are still able to make good on those orders.

Anyway, I have always ordered through the either the store or department manager.