Non stop adds!!!

A.O.

Not sure if this is the place to put this, but I couldn't find one so I put it here..

Whats with all the adds on here these days?? top of the page, bottom of the page and everywhere in between!! It didn't used to be like tis, is there anyway to stop them???

Interesting, used to be I did not see them either but now all the time, three on my screen right now. must be some way to get rid of them!

And it mostly seems like they are "adds by google" !

What are you using to access this site? Is the device logged on to a Google account? If so, that might be why you are getting the ads. Like @adm, I am on a Mac. I do not stay logged in to my google account.

Hmmm, I get a pagefull every time I come here, 4 on the page right now! Making it difficult to enjoy the place anymore!

6 minutes ago, Golf Griller said:

What are you using to access this site? Is the device logged on to a Google account? If so, that might be why you are getting the ads. Like @adm, I am on a Mac. I do not stay logged in to my google account.

Internet explorer I think., Microsoft edge maybe.  I'm kind of computer stupid. How do I log out of my Google account, and what else will that effect??

Seems like Microsoft has taken over this computer...

I'm using DuckDuckGo on an Android phone (primary) and Firefox on a Windows computer (secondary) not getting that issue at all with the phone.  On the computer, I now get one add near the top of the page and one at the bottom (both before and after login).

i get zero ads here (or almost any site), but I also use uBlock Origin on all browsers as well which kills a lot of advertising hooks.  Also using ChromeOS, which is highly immune to most threats.  That said, many sites do not appreciate using ad blockers as many get paid via advertising.

You may have some sort of spy/malware as well which can trigger this type of behavior. Scan you system as your browser may be hijacked.  Spybot Search & Destroy (Windows) or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Mac) are a couple good options (and free).

AdBlockPlus and Ghostery work great for blocking ads and trackers.

One other extension that is handy is Kill Sticky. Added to Firefox or other browser,

it helps to block the pop-up messages which show up when a page is loaded.

Click on the Kill Sticky icon and the pop-up is deleted. Not all pop-ups are

blocked by the browser settings.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:07 AM, A.O. said:

Not sure if this is the place to put this, but I couldn't find one so I put it here..

Whats with all the adds on here these days?? top of the page, bottom of the page and everywhere in between!! It didn't used to be like tis, is there anyway to stop them???

There have always been google ads on this website.  Maybe you were using a browser that blocked them or something.  Those who contributed money when I was taking donations to help pay for the price of keeping this site running were put into a group that doesn't have ads displayed.  

Ads display at the top, bottom and after the first post in threads.  It's part of how I can afford to give you this website without having to ask you for money.

21 hours ago, K_sqrd said:

AdBlockPlus and Ghostery work great for blocking ads and trackers.

One other extension that is handy is Kill Sticky. Added to Firefox or other browser,

it helps to block the pop-up messages which show up when a page is loaded.

Click on the Kill Sticky icon and the pop-up is deleted. Not all pop-ups are

blocked by the browser settings.

Why not let the ads display?  they aren't obtrusive.  there are NO pop up ads on this site.   I know i'm talking to a brick wall on this subject... never mind me... this site is going to shut down in short order anyway BECAUSE of how much it costs me to keep it running.... most likely at the end of this year, so enjoy it for free (and free of ads if you wish) while you still can...

One of the very few sites I have ever subscribed to because of the content, members, administrative policies, and valuable knowledge that gets passed along. I supported the site in the past and would continue to do so if the opportunity presented itself. "Free" costs a helluva lot more than a small subscription/support fee.

Edited by NVRider

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

this site is going to shut down in short order anyway BECAUSE of how much it costs me to keep it running.... most likely at the end of this year

VERY sorry to hear that, John.  I'm sure you've done all the review of options, but if there's anything that might change that, please, please let us know.