How to hook up Inkbird BBQ Controller to Kamado?

Hi all! I have a 22" Louisiana Grills Kamado and I recently got an Inkbird BBQ controller for it. It didn't come with any instruction on how to physically hook it up to the Kamado. The Inkbird controller has a fan with a silicon hose that should connect to the bottom vent of the Kamado. One of the two included bulkheads seemed to fit my vent, I took out two screws on the side of the vent and slide the bulkhead in place. However, the bulkhead sits in the vent very loosely, and long story short, it's letting too much air in, and even with the Inkbird unit turned off I can't hold a temp bellow about 275 degrees F. The controller does seem to work well, and I like the idea of it, especially for extra long cooks like brisket; set it up and go back to bed lol! But if I can't figure out a better way to connect this thing I'm going to return it. Can anyone help me figure out a way to hook the hose up to my Kamado properly? I am thinking about trying to find a silicon something or other (like an oven mitt, hot pot pad, etc.) and trying to make some kind of gasket for the bulkhead. I know I don't want just a piece of foil or something like that, I'd actually want it to look good. Any ideas? Or if someone has done this themselves, a few pics would be much appreciated.

Also, the Inkbird says it will fit *most* Kamado grills and lists a few of the big names, but did not specifically mention the Louisiana Grills version I have. But, it did specifically say that it will fit the Akorn Kamado. I have an Akorn too, and I couldn't figure out how the Inkbird would connect to the Akorn any better, so I feel like this is a *me* issue. Can anyone help me please?

This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DK87Q33/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for your help!

-SmokeMaker

Any thoughts at all? I asked on the Amazon page where I ordered the controller from, but it doesn't give you much more than a sentence or two to ask your question. I got all kinds of replies, but none really answered my question. I fully understand how the provided bulkhead slides into the "track" for the bottom vent dampers. My problem is that the fit is so loose, it's letting too much air in, and I am not able to run the grill any lower than about 275 degrees F. I think the bulkhead needs some kind of gasket or something. Has anyone else experienced this with the Inkbird or any other controller? Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you!

-SM

I don't know that exact grill or that exact controller, but often times you need to do a little "DIY" in order to get things like this to work.  I sometimes use Thermoworks Billows fan with my Akorn and Big Joe, and for the Akorn, had to make my own adapter from scratch (which resulted in a trip to the urgent care for stitches on my thumb, but that's a different story.) 

For my Big Joe, I tried the Thermoworks adapter, but similar to your story, it wasn't the right size and let way too much air get in (and sometimes the weight of the fan would pull the whole adapter out altogether.) 

One thing you can try that worked for me is to get some high-temp "flue" tape and use it to cover up any gaps and hold the plate in place.  It worked well for me before I was able to make a better adapter plate for my Big Joe.  It sounds like it might work for you too.

This is the tape I used.  

https://www.amazon.com/3M-High-Temperature-Flue-15-Foot/dp/B00004Z4DS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1QFFF3NY757KB&keywords=high+temp+flue+tape&qid=1651951332&sprefix=high+temp+flue+tape%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-3

I would get a piece of square aluminum (easy to cut) and cut it to size so it fits how you want.  Cut a hole in the center of it which doesn't need to be perfect, just so the original will slide though.  use high temp silicone to "glue" together and that should work.  That's all I got. 

https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock-Smoker-Sealer-Silicon-Adhesive/dp/B01LRLELK0/ref=sr_1_6?crid=13OHDTPD88ZQW&keywords=high+temp+silicone&qid=1652015948&sprefix=high+temp+silcone%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-6

Hey guys, thank you for the replies and suggestions. @TexasAlan, the adapter you linked to looks identical to the one provided with my InkBird controller. I’m attaching it to the lower vent exactly as it’s pictured in that link, but the fit is very loose, and it’s letting too much air in and running too hot.

@just4fn, I may be missing something, but I think you’re kind of describing the bulkhead I have that came with the InkBird. 

I am thinking I’m going to have to make my own gasket of some kind. I had been thinking about a silicon baking mat or hot pot pad and trying to cut a piece to size. I may also consider the flue tape mentioned by @RoodyPooBBQ

Thanks for the help!

-SM

Was just looking a little more at the Inkbird.  Seems like it may not be as simple as simply cutting out an adapter plate out of scrap metal and drilling a hole for the tube, since it has to fit on a "post" (for lack of better term.)  IMO that seems like a limiting design, but I guess I get it.  

The good news is that design doesn't look like it places any of the fan's actual weight against the plate, so it's unlikely to pull out, and the tape I mentioned should do the trick as long as the fit is "close enough".  I don't see why there would be a need to take it much further.  For what it's worth, Thermoworks actually supplies similar tape with Billows in order to help seal up any air gaps, but their design is more prone to creating gaps.