Cooling down the Series I - charcoal basket?

georgec

I was hoping there was a charcoal basket option of the Series I. I have seen the other Kamados that use this type of coal basket that can be removed to cool down the coals. Is there anything like this available for the Series I?

Is there an easier way to cool down the coals after a cook? I always close the vents and let it sit all night since it doesn't get below 200F for several hours.

Welcome, @georgec.  For a KJ series 1, the standard KJ basket fits (have one in my Classic 1). I go for the "shut it down" method of cooling, as that's how you save the coals for the next cook.  But, if you need to, the KJ basket absolutely can be used to easily remove the charcoal, allowing the dome to cool off quicker.  I've not done that, but have used the process, and it works.

Once the charcoal is out the cooling time will depend alot on the amount and temperature of the ceramics, If your sure the coals are out I open the top vent to aid in cooling before I put the cover on.

I don't think moving the coals out of the kettle is all that practical. Especially if you have the possibility of dropping small pieces on outdoor rugs, decks, or able to roll under  patio furniture. I just walk out the next morning after a cook and put the cover on. Also you will find the more you cook the quicker your kamado cools down when you shut the vents. I don't have scientific data, but my best guess is this is because of the greasy gunk the builds up on and around your vents and on your gasket and works like sealant  to fill in gaps and make them seal up tighter. 

OnlyFire makes an affordable basket that should work, but I agree with the others - removing the basket for cooling probably isn't the best plan unless there's a real need to accelerate the grill cooldown, but even then it wouldn't be accelerated that much.  Meanwhile, your coals will get hotter due to the air and just burn up and not be reusable.