Hello from Northern California

Been impressing friends and family for years with sub standard equipment. Recently stepped up to a Kamado Big Joe. Bought a bunch of Joe specific accesories (I-kamand, Soapstone, Meater probe, Smokeware drip pan, and a pallet of Fogo Super premium lump Charcoal as I have been using wood as my primary in my offset smoker for years.

Sure am excited to start this new chapter. At 62 years old eating is just about the last thing I can still do and be good at.

Glad to have you and your new Joe with us. Enjoy your entry into the world of kamado cooking. Along with several other differences,  you will quickly notice that a kamado provides a much more humid cooking environment than your stick burner, no water pans needed. I suggest you do a spatchcock chicken as one of the best demonstration of this. 

44 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I suggest you do a spatchcock chicken as one of the best demonstration of this. 

One of my first lessons about the differences of cooking on the Kamado was the difference in the browning of chicken.  I thought a batch was taking it's time cooking, just going by color.  Then checked the temperature and it was about 180 F!  But still good.  

One reason I use a rub with paprika on chicken on the Kamado is to give more color.  Just a crutch, maybe, but helps me.

• 2 weeks later...