Top dome lifted off band during pizza cook (and firebox cracked)

fotoflux

I did a pizza cook at 600 degrees today. Pizza turned out great, however my lid lifted off the band in the back on my 2021 model Primo XL with the latest hinge. It left quite the gap and the grill wasn’t cooling after I closed the dampers. I was able to push it down while it was still hot. The bands were tight as of a month ago. Should I be worried about this? Is this expected?

05294F61-BC68-4677-842A-D604AAEF5885.jpeg

8EC7FEA2-DF3E-43E6-B606-3C9CC4C8D650.jpeg

CC3AE2DF-FF2C-459E-BA55-4C004FE0A5BF.jpeg

Oh and… firebox cracked…. After 2 months of use…. Pizza tuned out great, however! Not sure if I can cook pizza in this grill again though since so much “broke” during one cook.

9A113645-FF22-4368-B15C-F7D3FD414AF3.jpeg

BCDE6934-1549-4588-89EC-FC2387CB7FFE.jpeg

Bummer! I wouldn’t think 600° is so hot that it would cause problems like that. KJ is officially rated up to 750°. I’m assuming you can reposition the band. I don’t know what the Primo warranty is on ceramics. KJ has a lifetime warranty.

Pizza is one of the reasons I keep my Kettle. The OnlyFire pizza oven is a fantastic accessory and I don’t have to worry about getting it too hot.

Primo says 850 on their website. I would have avoided heating it up so much if it wasn’t advertised as a pizza oven. They even have a video on their official account showing how to self clean at 700 degrees. So not sure why mine cracked besides a defect 

2E845E33-DADC-4978-851B-649CFC06A96F.png

So far, super promising warranty experience with Primo. I sent out a warranty claim for the firebox, band and gasket on Sunday and got a reply today saying the requested items for repair were ordered. No questions, just a quick and short reply. That's got to be one of the most painless warranty experiences to-date! I figured the warranty process would be slow and painful (thanks internet bias) so I bought some fireplace cement and glued the 2 halves together. it needs to heat cure and I am not sure if I can lift it all back in the grill in one piece with only 24 hours of dry curing. but I figured it'd be worth a shot for $7. We'll see!

Also, side note, both pieces stand completely independently. I almost feel like they could've designed the firebox to be in 2 pieces. I can definitely tip them over, but inside the grill, they only have about an inch to move on any side. Seems like they could pretty easily design some sort of lip to sit them in as separate pieces. Then there would probably be fewer issues of firebox cracks too.

• 1 month later...

Alright, the firebox, band and gasket arrived today. I think the firebox was on backorder, the one I got was manufactured on June 22, 2022. It was shipped via freight and it was a "surprise" delivery. Good thing I was home! The packaging for the firebox was super well-done. No way it was getting cracked during shipping! Super satisfied with the warranty service. They did not charge me for delivery, but I bought through an online dealer, so their shipping charges may have been waived because I didn't buy from a "local" dealer. I am on a Primo FB group that Nick, the president of Empire, contributes to. He stated very clearly that the shipping is free if you go through a local dealer and they will normally charge shipping if you submit a warranty claim directly through Primo. This needs to be pinned somewhere because there is a lot of confusion around this.

All in all, I am satisfied with my warranty experience directly with Primo. When I submitted the claim, no questions were asked. They just agreed to ship out replacements. The parts arrived in good condition.

So just to update everyone on the fireplace cement. After heat curing and using it for several cooks, the crack re-formed and the cement started chipping off the firebox. It does not do well with high temp pizza cooks (the kind that turn your firebox white). I ended up buying the pizza oven door because the temps had spiked when I opened up the lid to remove the pizzas. I was worried that all the extra oxygen and temp spike was what caused the firebox to crack. Using the pizza oven door did prevent the temp spikes (and drops). It's a great product and worth it if you cook more than one pizza. However, the firebox did re-crack. The temp at the dome was 580 F max. Temp at the stone was up to 602 F. So not extremely hot. The pizza oven door says do not exceed 700 F, and I was well below that at the dome and at the stone. Again, the pizza came out great, and a little more evenly cooked than the last time. 

Also, I confirmed that my dome lifted off the band when I opened it because the bands do get looser when cooking at high temps. The pizza oven door prevents the risk of the lid falling off for those that are on the fence :) The bands still "felt" tight and I think the extra lip on the front handle keeps the lid from slipping off completely, but I don't want to risk it if I can prevent it!

IMG_3063 copy.jpg

IMG_2991 copy.JPG

IMG_2999 copy.JPG