Looking for a wireless blue tooth probe temp device.

I looked at the Meater, and the Meat Stick, and also one called the Lava Tool. Seems lots of folks  are up set with the meaters performance and pretty much all the Meat Stick reviews are glowing and make me wonder if their legit reviews. I want to use the thing to measure temp during a rotisserie cook with a large cut like leg of Lamb, Prime Rib, Bone in  Pork Roast, etc. Anyone know anything about this topic, don't mind spending what looks like too much for a single probe, but want something that will work. Ant tips or advice will be much appreciated. 

I don’t have one, but if I was to buy one, I’d go with Meater Block. I think some of the issues with the standard Meater is that it uses only Bluetooth so your connected device needs to remain close to the grill. Meater Block has a Bluetooth component in the storage block that then connects to wifi, so your phone can monitor from anywhere. I may have the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth terminologies reversed. Regardless, Meater Block has generally positive reviews from some YouTubers that I follow (like @Smokingdadbbq). He has used both versions and has a video that speaks to the differences and why he likes the Meater Block.

Now if Meater were to add a temp controller or Fireboard would come out with a wireless probe, I’d probably finally buy one.

I have the MEATER +. It works great. Because it is truly wireless, it’s very thick to accommodate the battery. The app works well and if you have a spare smartphone or tablet you can leave in the house closer to the probe, you can relay the temp over the internet and leave the house and check temps (saving you money over the MEATER block with built in WiFi, see image showing relay) It’s also nice that you get both internal and ambient temperature measurements with one probe.

FFBFAD67-73A1-4128-A222-64AB1C321DD7.thumb.jpeg.772b4822ca67b7eb4ab34b18c2fe9f76.jpeg

On 6/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, Bgosnell151 said:

I have a Meater Block and love it.... I had to buy a JoeTisserie because I got a Meater Block as a present!

NICE! 

26 minutes ago, &roid said:

These haven’t shipped yet but look a substantial upgrade on the meater. I’m just waiting on some real world reviews before hitting the button

https://combustion.inc

That’s pretty interesting. I think Meater does some predictive stuff, but I don’t know about the accuracy. That surface level measurement sounds pretty cool, especially if it will factor the stall into the predictions. At $200/probe, it’s a bit pricey and sounds like Bluetooth is the only connectivity, which means no monitoring outside of 150’ or so. Since I don’t have that ability today, it may not be a big deal, but if I’m paying that kind of money, it’s a feature I’d want to have.

Thanks for sharing. If you get one, please post a review.

my friend has a meater and the predictive function is next to useless - not sure this will be any better but interesting to see

i had thought that it did Wi-Fi to the home unit but looks like you’re right on the Bluetooth… that might be a bit of an issue

19 hours ago, &roid said:

my friend has a meater and the predictive function is next to useless - not sure this will be any better but interesting to see

i had thought that it did Wi-Fi to the home unit but looks like you’re right on the Bluetooth… that might be a bit of an issue

the predictive function is completely useless to be honest on the meater... but I still love it!

Dunno.  I paid about $35 at Home Depot for a very satisfactory little unit which, although it isn't "bluetooth," is wireless.  This is very handy for keeping an eye on what's happening on the grill while you're doing something else in the kitchen.  Has a range of about 300 feet.  Monitors both oven temperature and food temperature separately.

5 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

Dunno.  I paid about $35 at Home Depot for a very satisfactory little unit which, although it isn't "bluetooth," is wireless.  This is very handy for keeping an eye on what's happening on the grill while you're doing something else in the kitchen.  Has a range of about 300 feet.  Monitors both oven temperature and food temperature separately.

You paid $35 for a wireless?  Like no wire from the probe to the unit?

On 6/12/2022 at 11:28 AM, jark87 said:

That’s pretty interesting. I think Meater does some predictive stuff, but I don’t know about the accuracy. That surface level measurement sounds pretty cool, especially if it will factor the stall into the predictions. At $200/probe, it’s a bit pricey and sounds like Bluetooth is the only connectivity, which means no monitoring outside of 150’ or so. Since I don’t have that ability today, it may not be a big deal, but if I’m paying that kind of money, it’s a feature I’d want to have.

Thanks for sharing. If you get one, please post a review.

That Thang is interesting. 

It might be "amazing" if the claims are true. We'll have to be patient to find out. 

As for wifi/internet connectivity, I wonder if it's connected to the app on a tablet you can reach into from your smartphone? 

Kinda kule that it will connect via app only. They should consider selling the probe alone.

On 6/11/2022 at 5:08 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

Thanks, I was dubious about the neater because of the negative reviews. But understand they fixed a host of those issues with the Meater Plus. That’s probably what I will go with.

Is there any particular reason you want a bluetooth system instead of a wifi system?  NONE of the bluetooth systems work that well for me.  

Wifi is a lot more stable and obviously works over a much bigger range, but for these truly wireless probes I think it would just be too big a battery drain on the tiny probe.  BT to a unit close by with wifi out into the ether seems a good solution