Looking for a wireless blue tooth probe temp device.

15 minutes ago, &roid said:

Wifi is a lot more stable and obviously works over a much bigger range, but for these truly wireless probes I think it would just be too big a battery drain on the tiny probe.  BT to a unit close by with wifi out into the ether seems a good solution

The battery on the meater is just fine and works over wifi.... the probe connects bluetooth to the block, which is what connects to the wifi, so the drain on the probe is minimal.

exactly that, I doubt the battery in a totally wireless probe would be able to support wifi directly but BTLE works well to the block which can have a much bigger battery (or even mains power) and do the wifi leg of the journey

22 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

You paid $35 for a wireless?  Like no wire from the probe to the unit?

No, the probes are wired to a transmitter that you place beside the grill, using temperature-resistant wires.  It displays the two temperatures (food and firebox) itself, but also transmits them to a receiver that you keep in your pocket.  Very handy because you can be in the kitchen, chatting with friends, or whatever, and still "keep an eye on the cooking."  It's nothing fancy that you would "ping" your geek-friends about, but it works great.  All of my oven-cooking, both on the grill and in the kitchen stove, completely relies upon this: "accurate, predictable, repeatable results."

I did find that this unit will drain the (AAA ...) batteries if you leave them in, so I remove them when not in use.  Everything goes into a ziploc bag for storage.

10 minutes ago, MikeRobinson said:

No, the probes are wired

The whole aim of the question was for a wireless probe that can be used with the rotisserie.  Wires are kind of an issue on something that's spinning for an hour or two....

I have never encountered a probe that resided entirely inside the firebox.  (Not sure how they'd power the thing.)  You learn something new every day, I guess.  Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming ...

58 minutes ago, MikeRobinson said:

I have never encountered a probe that resided entirely inside the firebox.  (Not sure how they'd power the thing.)  You learn something new every day, I guess.  Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming ...

Google Meater 

the Meater battery is in the probe closer to the tip and stays inside the meat and has to stay below 212. So if you like your steaks black on the inside, it may not work for you :)