Finally got the results I wanted (ribs)

I always struggled with ribs so that everyone is happy.  My family like the ribs to be less tough and the target is always have soft bone in the ribs be chewable.  And I don't like it too mushy.  They are tasty but I am not a fan of that consistency for ribs, otherwise I just make pulled pork.

Tried amazing ribs method: 5 hours unwrapped at 225F.  Too tough as it requires good bit of effort to pull meat from bone.

Tried 3-2-1 at 225, too mushy.

Learn from friends after tasting theirs with 2-2 at 275F.  Close but still somewhat mushy.

Finally, read from reddit that someone won a competition: 2-2-1 at 235F.   Tried that and it is the result I wanted to make everyone happy (myself included.)  Meat ready to fall off the bone with minimum effort but it is still structurally intact.  And the soft bone is chewable :)

286604607_10228729495492460_5770280093836867934_n.jpg

Those are some good looking ribs! The only time I had to cook baby backs more than 3 hours was when I was using my offset. These days, I tend to cook hotter - 275°-300°. They’re usually done in 2 hours. But as you say, it’s hard to please everyone. My wife likes it when I wrap them and let them go a little longer, but they fall off the bone at that point, which is her preference. I like more texture. I usually cook to her taste. :)

4 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

can you please explain what you mean by "2-2-1"

Not to speak for @baileybbq, but the original use was for 3-2-1 ribs, or at least the original use I heard of. That stands for 3 hours cooking unwrapped, following by 2 hours of cooking wrapped, often with a liquid added, followed by 1 hour sauced. 

12 hours ago, baileybbq said:

the soft bone is chewable :)

Does this mean you eat the little pieces of tendony things at the ends? 

20 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

For completeness, can you please explain what you mean by "2-2-1" and so forth?

Tell us step-by-step exactly how you cooked those delicious-looking ribs.  Then, the meaning should be clear.

Thanks.

as @jark87mentioned, it is 2 hour unwrapped at 235F, followed by 2 hour wrapped (foil), then one hour unwrapped.

I had 3 half racks of ribs, 1 I used mustard as binder and the other 2 I used the Baccan's Japanese BBQ sauce as binder.  I used Meat Church Honey Hog for rub.  For the wrapping phase I put honey and brown sugar on the ribs, wrapped and then meat side down on the grill grid.  For the last hour I used Char Siu Sauce on the meat side (meat side up.)  Of course you can use any BBQ sauce for the finish. 

18 hours ago, baileybbq said:

Yes :) 

This would be new for me. I eat almost anything and I don't like those. How do you get them edible? 

2 hours ago, lnarngr said:

This would be new for me. I eat almost anything and I don't like those. How do you get them edible? 

They "soft bone" or cartilage will become soft enough that it is kind of crunchy...

Bailey

You have discovered the secret of BBQing, Grilling, Smoking, "do it the way YOU like it." I do mine at 225 -250 till they're done, meat is in charge. Glad you got them the way you like and they do look tasty.  

'I do mine at 225 to 250 till there done