Corned beef brisket vs primal brisket

Sgtsmokeky

Go easy on me fellas I am very new to brisket (have never cooked one) so my first attempt may be a complete failure. 

a friend tipped me off that Kroger had slabs 1.99 a lb today. A steal for sure.  I went to grab one but they were way bigger than I wanted to pay for to practice. I spoke to the butcher and he said to try one of the corned beef briskets. On impulse I believed him and came home with what is a perfect starter brisket size. Now I have never eaten corned beef. Once I got home I started researching and I fear I have made a terrible mistake. 

however I have read some promising suggestions to soak in water changing the water every 2 hours for 8 hours to pull the brine out. 

not sure if I will be mocked mercilessly or encouraged on this course of action. Also any suggested bbq rub techniques? I read a traeger post on how to do it with a sauce rub. Open to suggestions. Fairly certain I won’t get that cowboy classic brisket out of this but I’d like something my wife will eat lol. 

https://www.traeger.com/recipes/smoked-corned-brisket

If you purchased "corned beef" (a brined brisket), then your only option now is:

1) Cook it as traditional corned beef.  Boiled, steamed - numerous options depending on your desired result.  Always soak to reduce salt/nitrate levels is usually recommended.

2) Soak it (yes) to remove some of the salt/brine, but then smoke it to make pastrami.  Basically the link you posted is pastrami IMO...they just don't seem to call it that.

It is cured at this point, so you can't reverse that.  You should always soak corned beef in water to pull out some of the brine or it can be overly salty (and it is also good to help remove as much of the nitrates as well!), but that will not reverse the "cure.

2 hours ago, Sgtsmokeky said:

I went to grab one but they were way bigger than I wanted to pay for to practice

I had a similar experience, posted a question, and had several members give me useful suggestions on handling that.  I ended up getting one that I split in thirds, so I have 3 cooks to experiment with.  

But yeah, good price for any cut of beef these days. 

If it comes up again in the future (we are only two people in our household but whole briskets are too cheap to pass up for me), I purchase full size briskets, but cut them into thirds.  I cut the flat away from the point - though not the "proper" way...I just cut straight down roughly where the two meet (across the width).  I then cut the flat in half (from the original thin end).  So I end up with two rectangular and roughly equal flat portions, and one (mostly) point portion.

I make corned beef with both the flat pieces, and we usually cook one as corned beef, and then I smoke one for pastrami.  I smoke the brisket point piece as is and natural.  Works out great for us.

Corned beef/pastrami is also crazy expensive here to purchase pre-done.  A little time required to make, but home made is excellent and very easy...just takes 7 - 10 days in the fridge.

3 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

If you purchased "corned beef" (a brined brisket), then your only option now is:

1) Cook it as traditional corned beef.  Boiled, steamed - numerous options depending on your desired result.  Always soak to reduce salt/nitrate levels is usually recommended.

2) Soak it (yes) to remove some of the salt/brine, but then smoke it to make pastrami.  Basically the link you posted is pastrami IMO...they just don't seem to call it that.

It is cured at this point, so you can't reverse that.  You should always soak corned beef in water to pull out some of the brine or it can be overly salty (and it is also good to help remove as much of the nitrates as well!), but that will not reverse the "cure.

Good info. I was afraid of that. My gut was telling me to go for the massive slab but I took a chance on going this route. 

well lesson learned. Stick with the primal cut and avoid the corned beef as it is no substitute. Well I can’t say that until I try it but I don’t doubt your wisdom there. 

15 hours ago, Sgtsmokeky said:

Stick with the primal cut and avoid the corned beef as it is no substitute. Well I can’t say that until I try it but I don’t doubt your wisdom there. 

Well if you already have the corned beef....make some pastrami....you will not regret it!!  While not "brisket" or a substitute for it in the BBQ sense of the word, it stands on it's own!!

Sarge

My son uses corned beef to make pastrami quite often and it turns out pretty good . If you want to practice you can use the "Poor mans" brisket a chuck roast, left overs tacos, beef stew ,ect. Good luck and looking forward to pics.

Len440 good tip. I was not aware of the poor man’s brisket until I made the corned beef mixup. Some of my searches led me down that path. I had a nice angus chuck I grabbed a while back sitting in the freezer. Cooked it like brisket yesterday. I have to say it was a hit here. I do think it could have been allowed to slow cook a bit longer to render the fat down a bit more but overall very satisfying and a big hit. Next attempt will be total victory. 

Smoked with lump, pecan,

and a touch of cherry. 
rubbed with sweet rub o mine and finished with a little Texas rub. 

I tell everyone I know about this great bbq I found called “battle tested” we love to top it off with this delicious veteran owned sauce! Probably best I’ve ever had. 

34D08268-2B71-4F09-933B-0962B65BB5E9.jpeg

65AD4C4E-1188-4583-A837-38EE91CC310B.jpeg