Father’s Day

So how many of you are cooking your own meal on Father’s Day? :) My wife wanted to cook all of the food, but I told her I enjoy the grilling part while hanging at the pool, so I’m cooking baby backs - a pretty easy cook. She’s doing the hard work of pulling the membrane off and trimming.

What’s going over the coals on your grill and is anyone other than you taking the wheel?

image.gif

14 minutes ago, jark87 said:

So how many of you are cooking your own meal on Father’s Day? :) My wife wanted to cook all of the food, but I told her I enjoy the grilling part while hanging at the pool, so I’m cooking baby backs - a pretty easy cook. She’s doing the hard work of pulling the membrane off and trimming.

What’s going over the coals on your grill and is anyone other than you taking the wheel?

image.gif

Both my daughters are coming up from Texas for the weekend. The wife said we could go out if I didn't want to cook, but like you, I like the cooking part now that I have a kamado. She picked up a couple nice ribeye's and I'll be doing a reverse sear on them because I have become a fan of that method. Other than the steaks and some corn on the cob the girls will probably do the rest. Picked up a whole chicken as well and I'll probably spatchcock it or do the biker chick thing on Saturday... along with hanging out around the pool with an adult beverage!:)

Ribs or rib eye you guys are killing me. I'll probably go with ribs less effort and more time sitting in a comfortable chair with adult beverage. For all you dads out there have a happy fathers day, if your like me happy grandfathers day and Great grandfathers day ( one 22 month and the second 3 months ( sadly their in Calif).

Likely either cooking, or leftovers from grandkids birthday celebration Saturday. Something simple, if cooking.  Got a couple small steaks in the freezer, and a bit of sweet corn, as leading contender right now.

@len440, congrats on the new great grandkids.  Too bad they're not closer.  

4 hours ago, len440 said:

Ribs or rib eye you guys are killing me. I'll probably go with ribs less effort and more time sitting in a comfortable chair with adult beverage. For all you dads out there have a happy fathers day, if your like me happy grandfathers day and Great grandfathers day ( one 22 month and the second 3 months ( sadly their in Calif).

Ewwwww... Kaliforniastan??

12 minutes ago, Boater said:

Likely either cooking, or leftovers from grandkids birthday celebration Saturday. Something simple, if cooking.  Got a couple small steaks in the freezer, and a bit of sweet corn, as leading contender right now.

@len440, congrats on the new great grandkids.  Too bad they're not closer.  

Sure isn't anything wrong with steaks and corn!!

16 hours ago, redeyedphreak said:

likely will be something easy. maybe some burgers and beer. 

Anything on the grill if I don't go fishing! (it is snapper season for a minute) 

My choice? SHORT RIBS! 

Luckily, that should be my only responsibility for the MEAL. I'll concentrate on the ribs and alcohol and grandkids. 

Happy Father's Day, Y'all! 

Got the baby backs seasoned up and ready for the KJ. Dry brined and hit them with a healthy dose of a modified Memphis Dust - added jalapeño powder and chile powder to amp things up a bit (maybe Dallas Dust? :)). Plan to cook at 300° for an hour or so, then wrap them with butter, Mike’s Hot Honey and another layer of Dust. Another hour ought to do it.

image.thumb.jpeg.30bdb520cdbc791c791bb64f6185f229.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.def895a25fd73b5ad18fe0b19c9b40c6.jpeg

The day and the dinner turned out great, ended up enlisting the help of my weber in order to have enough space, did potatoes, onions and zucchini on the webber..

IMG_7776.thumb.JPG.a7df655891b58d64e5fa0bc74b96546a.JPG

Steaks, onions started out on the kamado..

IMG_7775.thumb.JPG.56224a3b9ede9c35c62e2c043ecba2d8.JPG

Got the steaks to 120 , let them rest while I got the kamado hot and did a good sear on them..

IMG_7779.thumb.JPG.b9a7df1bacf0559b8f56456e42f13007.JPG

IMG_7780.thumb.JPG.1f62ba87d248ab7fbfafca736ecc674f.JPG

And the finished product, at least the meat here... mmmmm

IMG_7781.thumb.JPG.5ec3ef4e5ae62a0a8aceca2ea7832dc9.JPG