Rock in my Lump

See pic. This came in my bag of KJ Lump. I have had stone chunks in lesser brands but I never anticipated stone in a bag of KJ brand.

So much for me being idealistic, thinking  I paid for a higher quality bag of lump to avoid this.

Been around the block too long for the verbiage that comes out explaining how I am not correct in understanding how I paid for a piece of stone rather than a piece of lump.

Caveat emptor. But in a bag from a reputable brand?:-o

766A23CA-71FB-4201-86BA-089A6CBB1CF2.jpeg

2 hours ago, K_sqrd said:

I've had a rock or two in bags of charcoal before. It's not that uncommon. I figure it's 

better than a lump of coal in your sock at Christmas. LOL!

A place for everything, and everything in its place :)

I have found debris of various sorts in every brand of lump I have used.  KJ has this as much as anyone else.  If you are switching around brands to try to avoid stuff like this, use Kingsford briquettes.  I have never found debris in that or any other brand of briquettes.  

You just have to accept the FACT that the lump charcoal process is gonna allow this to happen occasionally.  It's a fact of life.

Yep, rocks and fines.  I expect to find both every now and then.  Some brands more than others. Some companies will replace the bag whenever you are unhappy.  

6 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I have found debris of various sorts in every brand of lump I have used.  KJ has this as much as anyone else.  If you are switching around brands to try to avoid stuff like this, use Kingsford briquettes.  I have never found debris in that or any other brand of briquettes.  

You just have to accept the FACT that the lump charcoal process is gonna allow this to happen occasionally.  It's a fact of life.

I agree.  The occasional rock or piece of alien material does not bother me.  What does concern me is finding pieces of partially charred construction or treated lumber.  I've even found pieces of construction lumber with metal straps still attached by nails.  I've never found this in KJ or RO lump.  The brand I found it in a few times I have not bought again.

As John points out, briquettes are a solution.  So is extruded coconut charcoal.  

Trivia question: "Who invented the charcoal briquette?"  The story that I heard was that it was Henry Ford, who was looking to make a profit from the waste wood from his automobile plants.  (At the time, car wheels had wooden spokes.)  I guess that "ol' Henry" found some way to make a profit from everything that he did ...

But, with due respect to Henry, I'm sticking to real charcoal. ("Rocks and all ...?")