KJ Warranty Claim problems

Hill90

HI All,

Seen a few warranty posts and hoping to get feedback from other Kamado Joe customers.

I purchased my KJ Classic back in 2018 (September / October from memory), and got round to registering the following summer (June 2019 - and have my registration confirmation email). 

Roll forward three years and my firebox has started to crack, submitted a warranty claim and been asked for proof of purchase. Unfortunately I don't have a four year old receipt, I've reached out to my old credit card companies (the ones I can remember) to see if they can send old statements from around that time.

Just really frustrated with KJ, what is the point of product registration? Once you register your product / purchase surely that should suffice particularly if you are offering a "lifetime" warranty to the purchaser - common sense prevails that you ask customers to register the product / purchase because you know most won't be able to produce receipts years after purchase.

Anyone been in a similar situation and had any luck?

Thanks

Liam

After Kamado Joe was bought out the first time, the new parent company started requiring proof of purchase to get warranty replacements.  The previous 'registration' process didn't even include a proof of purchase requirement and the warranty claim system was being abused severely by second, third, fourth, fifth, etc owners of said kamado grills.  You can chalk this up to a good thing being ruined by those who take advantage of a generous system rather than doing the right thing.  

Unfortunately, you will unlikely be able to get a warranty replacement unless you can provide them with proof of purchase.  it sucks, but it is what it is.

Go back to where you bought it. I got mine at Costco, they can pull a record or every item you ever purchased. Comforting and scary all at the same time... Pretty sure businesses are required to keep records for 3-5 years at least.

Chances are any credit card company won't have more than a purchase location and amount charged, not an itemized list of what you bought, so that will be of limited value in your attempt to prove when you purchased the KJ.

My warranty claim was super easy, but was just for the gaskets, as my KJ arrived with a slight tear in each one. I just filled out the online form in the Contact Us section of the KJ website. It asked for date and place of purchase, but didn’t require proof of purchase. Maybe they validated with the place of purchase? Plus, I filed my claim the same day my KJ was delivered, so that might have had something to do with it. 

Not sounding promising which is really disappointing. From memory when I registered I had to give details of where I purchased it but not proof of purchase - although KJ customer support and saying they have no record of my registration either despite email confirmation from them...

Have to persevere and hope something useful in my CC statements that might lead to copy receipts from the store.

Thanks

@Hill90

HEre is a repeat of the information you skipped over when you registered for this site:

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.  

IMPORTANT: IF YOU ARE NEW HERE AND YOUR FIRST POST IS A COMPLAINT ABOUT A PRODUCT, COMPANY, OR VENDOR, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE BANNED IMMEDIATLY WITHOUT HESITATION.  THIS WEBSITE IS NOT A STUMP FOR COMPLAINTS ABOUT ANY PRODUCT, CUSTOMER SERVICE, OR ANY OTHER ISSUES YOU HAVE WITH ANYONE OR ANYTHING.

The forum is geared primarily towards kamado enthusiast and has no direct affiliation with any specific vendors.  Vendors are welcome to be members of the forum.  However, messages that are not following general etiquette as far as advertisements and specific customer service issues may be removed.  

I reached out to you to see if I could help and havent' seen a response.  THis is what i like to call a 'drive by complaint' and they are so numerous on this site that I had to implement the above rule quite a while back.  

Do you remember where you purchased it?

I save “all” my receipts  and proof of purchases in folders with all the paperwork that accompanied that purchase. Especially $500+ purchases. 

I wouldn’t be upset with KJ.  Get upset with whomever misplaced your proof of purchase.  

I am gonna write this off as a drive-by whining and delete the post and the member who posted it.  I happen to know that the original poster has been taken care of now and it doesn't appear that he's interested in telling us about that at this point....