New User Comments and questions on Heat shield

Just ordered my Vision Pro-S 22" grill in "Chili Red" from Home Depot.  Should have it next week!   Looking forward to using and adding info on this discussion forum.    This will be my first smoker-type grill ever.   Any setup issues I should know about?    I see that it doesn't come with a heat shield for low-temp smoking.  That will be my first accessory purchase.   I've seen a ton of bad reviews on Vision's own lava-stone shield---seems to crack very easily.   Any other brands that will fit?     

Thanks,

Dan 

• 4 weeks later...

My first kamado was a  standard size Vision Pro C. I cooked on it for years until I got a classic style BGE. The Lava stone measures 14" and is about 5/8's" thick. Mine lasted for years and in fact it is still in my garage and I use it occasionally in my BGE. You can use any 13 to 14" stone in a standard Vision.  The 22" Vision you describe may need a larger stone, I don't know if they are measuring the grate or the outside of the case. An 18 1/2 " grate usually takes a 14" stone. Personally I prefer a good ceramic stone to the lava because a ceramic stone seems to give me a much nicer finish on pizza crust and baked breads. Any good pizza stone will work, I recommend getting a number of them as I often use two in a pizza set up. I like the name brand stones from BGE and KJ and the stones from Ceramic Grill Store (CGS) they seem to hold up very well, In fact in years of use I have never broken one I did not drop or bang into something. Any stone you see with Cordierite additive to the ceramic blend is probably a quality stone . On a side note, I found the Vision stone hanger to be really flimsy  and recommend a Vision Spider from CGS, (its made from stainless rod and will probably last forever. 

hope this helps you.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/vision-pro-classic-b-grill-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a diamond cut classic B for almost 5 years now. The lava stone worked great but it did crack and eventually broke in half after a year or two; depending on what you want to use it for, I went to Academy sports and got a great outdoors( i think it's the house brand) round cast iron griddle, cut the handles off and used that; the great thing about it is it's cast iron so it's largely indestructible and fits the metal holder for the lava stone; 

I second the CGS spider and two half stones. I have the woo ring and the two half stones. I use the lava stone on the woo. 3 years and it is still good. I take care of it. I don't drop in on a hot fire. After the coals are lit I drop it in and bring it up to temp. I cook pizza 400 plus and it is my bottom stone, and the two half stones for the pizza. The half stones allow lots of different set ups. https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/43184-my-vision-journey/?do=findComment&comment=538154 

Dan Hope you enjoy your Kamado I don't us a soap or lava stone so I can't comment on personal experience. Just reading the various post some break and some don't. Don't know why. Here is a good book by John Setzler.