Gummed up top vent

22 hours ago, A.O. said:

I get my KJ very hot after every couple cooks and it seems to keep that top vent pretty clean..

this is one thing that I have been wildly unsuccessful at for some reason.  I think I need to take mine off and give it a good cleaning, then be more diligent about getting temps up every so often to keep it clean.

47 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

this is one thing that I have been wildly unsuccessful at for some reason.  I think I need to take mine off and give it a good cleaning, then be more diligent about getting temps up every so often to keep it clean.

Another thing I do is when the top is cool enough to touch at the end of a cook, I'll rotate it back and forth to loosen it up for the next cook.

Generally happens when you do a number of  low and slow or moderate low cooks. Just spray it with oven cleaner and put it in a gas grill or oven and turn the heat up for 45 minutes to and hour or so. I am telling you folks, cooking pizza once a week as maintenance is the trick. Plus you get to eat the pizza a you admire your clean top vent. 

15 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Generally happens when you do a number of  low and slow or moderate low cooks. Just spray it with oven cleaner and put it in a gas grill or oven and turn the heat up for 45 minutes to and hour or so. I am telling you folks, cooking pizza once a week as maintenance is the trick. Plus you get to eat the pizza a you admire your clean top vent. 

awesome.... thank you!

Well, "on my grill, at least, the whole thing is held on by one bolt and two screws."  But I do expect that any oven cleaner would do well to quickly dissolve any "gunk."  After that, soap and water and a scouring pad, then a quick squirt of any lubricant.

After each and every cook, I thoroughly scrub the inside and the outside of my (steel ...) Kamado, and that includes the vents.