Big Joe 3 - Pizza Stone raised 5 1/2"

Lenny S

Anyone tried a pizza stone this high in a Big Joe III?  It seems very stable, sits a little more than 1" below the temp probe, and looks like plenty of room around the edge for airflow.

PXL_20220630_230550064.jpg

PXL_20220630_230117952_exported_9215.jpg

Looks promising, but unless those steel "legs" are hefty I would be worried about the whole thing toppling over when you try to launch or remove the pizza.

I use 3/4" pipe couplings (black pipe, not galvanized) just to get an air gap between the stones, but higher in the dome like what you have would probably be better for top browning.

20 minutes ago, mbellot said:

Looks promising, but unless those steel "legs" are hefty I would be worried about the whole thing toppling over when you try to launch or remove the pizza.

I use 3/4" pipe couplings (black pipe, not galvanized) just to get an air gap between the stones, but higher in the dome like what you have would probably be better for top browning.

I've cooked about 6 already using 1" spacers and didn't have a problem with the peel.  I cheat and use a 16" Non-Stick Super Peel... it makes picking up and dropping dough a non-event.  If I didn't have it, I would worry about exactly what you said.

I cornmeal the stone just before dropping the pizza, so I haven't had an issue with one sticking.  I don't use the Super Peel to pull them off... just a normal huge wooden peel and spatula to push it on.

My intent here is to see if higher in the dome cooks the top differently.

I dont' think there will be a significant or noticeable difference in the cook.  The DoJOE accessory would provide the best possible even and continuous heat for pizza cooking since the dome lid doesn't have to be opened to cook the pizza.

No stability issues at all... worked perfectly.  Cooked 3 back to back between 550-600, slightly noticable difference than lower in the cooker.  If you look closely you can see the pepperoni has started to char a bit, exactly what I wanted.  I've never been able to do this lower in the cooker except at much, much higher temps. 

PXL_20220708_235732033.jpg

PXL_20220708_235727161.jpg

Am I missing something here?  The Amazon description has these as "Each ring measures 3 1/8 inches in diameter and stands 1 inch high"

Link change or something?

No, measurements are correct for the ones I use. The stones only need to be an inch apart to give the correct air circulation gap. The diameter allows four rings to sit symmetrically on the lower deflector and keeps the top stone stable. @Lenny S was experimenting to see if getting the pizza higher in the dome would work better. Trouble is you have to open the dome right up to check on the pie whereas with the lower rings you can just crack it open to view without too much heat escaping.