No thermometer gasket and bevel?

Here's a new one, to my annoyance, the Akorn that I ordered came with a few parts missing. I've put in a request with support, but it's taking a while for the missing parts to ship. Most are nonessential, like parts of the side shelves. But two that are not are the thermometer gasket and bevel. Without them, there's a small hole in the dome. You can see some insulation, and I guess there's a space for the thermometer to pass inside. 

I've been hesitant to use the grill until these parts come, but I'm tired of sitting around. Can I just cover with aluminum foil or some such in the mean time? I can't imagine the heat loss would be too bad compared with just having the gasket/bezel/thermometer there. I'll be using probes to monitor temperature anyway and am not too worried about not having a dome thermometer for now. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Catdog said:

Can I just cover with aluminum foil or some such in the mean time? I can't imagine the heat loss would be too bad compared with just having the gasket/bezel/thermometer there.

:welcome: Catdog.  I agree ^.  I cooked on a Pit Boss without a dome thermometer, and thus a small hole in the dome, while awaiting a Tel-Tru to replace the OEM.  I did not experience any difficulties holding temperature.

4 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

I'm sure you won't lose heat through the hole, but that's a pretty sorry state of quality-assurance affairs for both the manufacturer and then the reseller!  "Whaddya mean, a part is missing?"

Yeah man it's lame. I went through the box a couple times, because I just couldn't believe parts were missing. It was all small stuff (these parts, plus the brackets that hold the left and right shelves). Plus, the cast iron cooking grate has just a little rust on it. The rust I can fix, and the shelves are whatever, but the hole in the dome threw me. 

We also had recently gotten an outdoor table and chair set from Costco, and two out of the six chairs came with the wrong hardware for assembly. It's a bummer!

I will say, Char-Griller was super responsive and their immediate offer was to send replacement parts. But they're definitely going to take longer to come than they originally promised (they said 7-10 business days to delivery--it's already been six and it hasn't shipped yet so I'm not holding my breath.)

Thanks for verifying my plan!

"Whaddaya mean, a little rust on it?"  Is this thing actually new, or what?  Did they actually sell you a "demonstrator" that's been sitting outside in the weather next to a retail store somewhere?  I'd be asking questions . . .