Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Pickled Onions on Ciabatta Buns

Independence Day Weekend! What better time is there to make pulled pork? Try this sandwich on for size with these amazing and super simple pickled onions!

Pickled Onions:

Stuff a mason jar as full as possible with sliced red onions as shown in the video. I used a 2 pint jar.

To the jar, add:

1 tsp salt

1 clove sliced garlic

10 black peppercorns

10 whole allspice berries

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

1 tsp sugar

Let sit at room temp for several hours or in the fridge overnight and they are ready to serve!

#PulledPork #PickledOnions #AtlantaGrillCompany

Saw this on the Man Cave Livestream, so had to get allspice berries.  

Here, you didn't mention the pickling medium (liquid).  I think I remember some wine vinegar?

Great cook, John! I gotta get one of those tubs. What’s the benefit of cooking that long? Are you getting a richer flavor? I rarely have the patience (or stamina) for that length of cook, except for a brisket, but might consider it if there’s a tangible benefit. Thanks for the video!

On 7/9/2022 at 7:11 AM, jark87 said:

I rarely have the patience (or stamina) for that length of cook,

That's one argument for a BBQ controller or wifi thermometer.  You get to sleep, or do whatever else you want, while the cook goes on.  

On 7/2/2022 at 11:31 AM, John Setzler said:

super simple pickled onions!

I started off to make those, ended up making a bread and butter pickle with more cucumber than onion.  Point being, as John said, that there's a good number of pickles you can do in the "refrigerator pickle" category that go well with barbeque meats.  The bread and butter pickle is sweeter, might not be as nice on pork, but went well on a chicken salad sandwich for lunch. 

For the pickle, spices pretty similar (add dry mustard and turmeric), but lots more sugar.  You heat up the vinegar to dissolve the sugar, which also helps release some of the flavor of those whole spices.  But not cooking the pickle for canning, so still a fast, simple process. The added sugar makes these less suited for pork, IMO, as pork starts off so sweet. Less contrasting flavor.

And didn't have as many canning jars as I thought I had, so ended up with a plastic storage container for part of the batch.  

IMG_20220713_172517135.thumb.jpg.77f1f532e7776d6ec8401143270f3b6c.jpg