KJ II Classic Bundle--Costco $799!!!

1 hour ago, mliebs said:

Wow, almost makes me want to buy another one.

Why stop there? 

The limit is 5  :rofl:

As @John Setzler said some time ago, it makes you wonder about KJ's ability to to these things with Costco and expect to have a solid dealer network as well.  Hope it works for all, I just wonder....

On 7/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, mliebs said:

Wow, almost makes me want to buy another one.

Oh, U know that thought danced through my head. I joined Costco for the $999 deal. 

The Warden would have reminded me that we have too many grills. And it's true.  I am having separation anxiety getting rid of my little steel buddy (Akorn) and a gasser that is only used annually. 

Thanks for the tip!  I grabbed one today, and they still had a few.  

Discovered one bad shelf bracket during assembly.  Appeared that it had not been bent properly at the factory, so one shelf won't mount.  Zero damage to the (extensive) packaging, so it must have slipped through quality control.  I contacted KJ through their website so I shall see how well they resolve.

KO JOE Full.jpg

KO JOE 1.jpg

12 hours ago, ADB said:

Discovered one bad shelf bracket during assembly

If they're out of replacement brackets (happens these days) you can bend that bracket more or less back into shape with large channel lock pliers, to use the shelf while waiting. 

I may have spares still around from the replacements they sent me, if it will be a long time getting that replacement.

Looks like the bracket will come off and make re bending it easier and less stress on the ceramics, or hold it with a pair of pliers by the round thing and bend the end with a second pair of pliers. If you do take the bracket off the bolts need a pulling force outward to keep the seriations on the bolt to engage the band and not spin. Good luck and keep us posted and your grill is WAY TO CLEAN on the inside.

Thanks very much to Boater and len440.  I'm still waiting to hear from KJ, but it's only been a few days.  I think today I'll remove the bracket (I would never put a bunch of torque onto the edge of anything ceramic, let alone my new grill!), clamp it in my bench vise, and see if I can straighten it with a pipe wrench. If that doesn't work, I'll heat it red hot with a propane torch and then bend it.

I'm pretty sure I can get it fixed, but I also have a strong feeling that a company should know when something isn't right so they can provide repair/replace service, and also so they can find out if they have a production problem they need to fix.

Shelf or no shelf, tomorrow I'm going to find a T-bone about 2" thick for the inaugural cook.  Steak Florentine (Bistecca ala Fiorentina, for the Italians among us...).  Yum.

I got the bracket straightened out enough for the shelf to hang and stow.  I would post this is a repair/modify section, but I didn't see one.

It takes a 10mm socket to remove the two cap nuts:

image.jpeg.8245d17f445912e70a504ab01e2e21e0.jpeg

I compared it to the correct one on the other side and found it was bent to the wrong angle, and also the end was askew:

image.jpeg.5072bb287be65834e75cc7f35b0f554f.jpeg

I squeezed it flat in the vise, and then corrected the angle:

image.jpeg.eadbcd7248baf2b9570dfe0c3b199fdb.jpeg

image.jpeg.8278ac3a8c02ed76cbdafacb0b109fb9.jpeg

Voila.  A little curve to it, but it's almost as good as new...

image.jpeg.8dbc20dd0c977dcd4c5e1298276b2c90.jpeg

Glad you got it repaired KJ more than likely will take care of you. One last suggestion a 2inch rib steak might be better. Just my preference, as long as its from a cow it's great, Waiting for pic  

5 hours ago, len440 said:

Glad you got it repaired KJ more than likely will take care of you. One last suggestion a 2inch rib steak might be better. Just my preference, as long as its from a cow it's great, Waiting for pic  

I just did a couple 1-1/2" rib eyes on the 4th.  Reverse sear Alton Brown style (well, mostly.  I finished them on my old Char Griller at about 600 instead of in a skillet).  Was awesome.  Now I want try it with a TB.

1395761617_4thCook.jpg.636357bd4c870ffdce5de039e2575c9b.jpg

Today, one week after contacting them about my bent bracket, I got an email from KJ that they will send me four new  brackets as soon as they get them back in stock in August.  I will be notified when they ship so I can track the delivery.

ADB

16 minutes ago, ADB said:

they will send me four new  brackets as soon as they get them back in stock in August. 

I wonder how many spare brackets are in spare parts drawers.  You need 1, they send 4 (with bolts, nuts, etc.).  Modern efficiency methods baffle me sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to mention that KJ sent me a complete set of four shelf brackets to replace the one that was bent.  Arrived around two weeks after requested.  Very happy with my purchase, by the way.

• 2 months later...