Jumbo Chicken "Wings"

One of my favorite things to cook on the grill is a nice batch of chicken wings, but I can't believe the prices for wings.  BJ's has the best price near me, and that's still $22 for around 24 wings.  Not great.  But literally right next to them in the cooler you can get a similar weight package of drumsticks for $7.  What's a drumstick other than a premium chicken wing, right?  At least that's the theory I'm going with.

Got them on the grill right now, half seasoned with tajin seasoning and half plain as a taste test.  Will cook them just like a wing till crispy and toss in hot sauce.  I have pretty high expectations.  Hopefully a rare case of an upgrade at a lower cost.

PXL_20220703_235024535.jpg

Mission accomplished.  Turned out just as expected, basically just giant chicken wings.  The tajin seasoned legs were definitely a step above the other ones, that may be my new go to seasoning for wings.  These all got tossed in just straight Frank's, can't go wrong with a classic.

Definitely won't be buying any more wings at triple the price any time soon.  Next time I'll cook them with the joetisserie as a comparison.

PXL_20220704_005122295.jpg

PXL_20220704_005756110.jpg

I'm with you on the cost of wings.  The whole idea (a while ago, granted) was to get something good to cook that was cheap.  That's not the case any more.  The least expensive part of the chicken now seems to be hind quarters.  Shopping around, I can get those at under 50 cents per pound, in 5 pound bags.  That's our go-to chicken now.  Cook the quarters, or break them up into drumsticks, thighs and remainder (soup, stock, etc.). 

Same thing happened to brisket as wings.  Price became crazy.  One day, same thing will happen to pork shoulder.  Once a cut becomes popular, it don't matter, it seems, how easy it is to cook.  I saw chuck roast the other day for the same price as sirloin steak (steak on sale, but still). 

OK, rant over. 

Good looking cook!

Yup...chicken wings they used to give away 30 years ago....couldn't even sell them.  Same with oxtail, beef soup bones etc.  You could just ask for them from the butcher and they would give them to you from the "scrap" pile.

Now soup bones, oxtail, chicken wings etc are some of the most expensive items here. 

Same here with the thighs/legs dark meat quarters...seems to be the cheap cuts at the moment.  Pork chops and some pork cuts can be found cheap too.

5 hours ago, Boater said:

One day, same thing will happen to pork shoulder. 

I paid $3/lb for pork shoulder this weekend. While that’s not terrible, I paid $1/lb last year. It’s probably my favorite part of the pig - super flavorful and ultra versatile. I’m making enchiladas with the leftovers from today’s cook.

10 hours ago, jark87 said:

I paid $3/lb for pork shoulder this weekend. While that’s not terrible, I paid $1/lb last year. It’s probably my favorite part of the pig - super flavorful and ultra versatile. I’m making enchiladas with the leftovers from today’s cook.

Actually pork shoulder at $3 a pound is terrible as you loose approx. half the weight after smoking them. I just did one the other day that started out at 9 lbs and ended up with 4 1/2 lbs of pulled pork. so that $3 per lb quickly became $6 per lb. 

Luckily I got mine on a buy 1 get 1 free sale at Kroger for $2.50 per lb thus cutting the price to $1.25 per lb. before smoking them.

• 2 weeks later...