I Didn't Think Salt Air Would Do This in a Week

Gebo

The family went on a vacation to Emerald Isle, NC.  Since it is 9 of us went, I decided to take my Blackstone primarily for breakfast.  Eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc.

Wow, I now have a "rusty" Blackstone.  I had no idea just week would rust all the bolts and hangers and joints and griddle and ......

Never again will I take any of my griddles to use outside on the oceanfront.  Stupid is as stupid does.  I'm so aggravated I am fighting the urge to

buy a new one as a replacement.  I just need a few more days and my logic should come back.  Time helps many things.

Bummer! Vinegar has worked for me in the past as a rust remover, but you need to be able to submerge the rusted piece in a vinegar bath for at least 30 minutes. If the rusted parts are easy enough to remove, maybe that will work for you, especially since you caught it early.

Hope you recover soon!

CLR works to remove rust. Keep the grill but do 2 things.

1. Ensure rust is on the outside and not inside the unit. Check for corrosion inside and outside. Obviously don’t immerse the grill to remove rust.

2. Next time cover the grill and/or make sure exposed metal has a thin coating of oil. Any oil will do.

No need to immediately replace over some surface rust unless you convince yourself you need to. 

You can send me the old Blackstone.:)

Evaporust is my newest go-to for rust cleanup.  Since you were only in that climate for a week, the rust shouldn't be deep, and should clean off quickly.  If you want, it shouldn't be too hard to prep your grill before the next trip.  Any hardware you need to replace, pick up 18-8 or 300 series stainless steel.  I'd use McMaster-Carr for this, as they are a LOT cheaper than the local hardware store for stainless, but there are many sources for this stuff.  Painted surfaces should be OK, and you'll know what other surfaces you need to possibly pre-treat to prevent rust in the future.  It's frustrating, but at least you can use this as a learning experience and an excuse to make some upgrades to your unit.