KJ Classic vs XL Oval

GS1397

Hey Guys, shopping for a new grill and it's come down to a KJ Classic and an XL Oval. Lots of pros and cons on both, and I posted this same question on the KJ page. I'd be interested from other Primo owners why they went Primo over a conventional round Kamado and if they were considering KJ or BGE; BGE is out of the running as they just too expensive for what you get with them. So, again, thank you for any insights you can give. 

At the time I liked KJ for their inovations in the market.   No local KJ dealers at the time in my area and the local Costco's weren't participating in the roadshows at that time.  While on vacation I sought out a roadshow that was in NC, only a 45 minute detour one way to get there, LOL.  Went and was really impressed with it being able to finally get my hands on one.  In the end I ended up going with a Primo XL because of the access to a local dealer, being made in the USA was also a deciding factor.  Primo has starting coming out with some good accessories and improvements  in the last year and a half, the new hinge, drip pans and rotisserie just to mention a couple. I even added a Jr. to my setup shortly after getting the XL.  I think that they are both excellent Kamados and that you'll be happy with your decision which ever way you go.  

I went with the Primo XL mainly because of the dimensions. I do a lot of ribs and I was worried I wouldn't get 3 racks of spare ribs on a round. Secondary to that was the black color vs red. I just am not a fan of red. Being made in the USA is awesome and I am happy to support them because of that. It feels good to support a business that supports "local" jobs, but it wasn't my first priority. If no Kamado was made in the US, I would've still bought the Primo over KJ.

I went all-in when I bought my grill and within months I bought the Rotisserie and Pizza Oven attachment. Everything works as advertised with this grill and I am really satisfied. The build quality is excellent and it's actually more compact than the equivalent width round because it is not as deep. So it technically takes up a bit less space than a round Kamado.

KJ will probably still continue to lead the market in in-house accessories. There are more aftermarket accessory options for round Kamados in general. We Primo Oval owners are dependent on Primo for innovations, which is definitely a downside.

I went with the Kamado Joe classic II because the included accessories that came standard and cost. I'm sure you will enjoy either one keep us posted  

I purchased my Oval XL for the shape and the fact that it is made in the U.S.A.  I also purchased every accessory available at the time.  The shape is perfect for ribs, multiple butts or large whole packer briskets.

Good purchase. 

1 hour ago, philpom said:

I purchased my Oval XL for the shape and the fact that it is made in the U.S.A.  I also purchased every accessory available at the time.  The shape is perfect for ribs, multiple butts or large whole packer briskets.

Good purchase. 

Ditto.  I bought my Oval XL in 2013 and used it an average of 2-3x per week since.  I've never regretted my choice.