Pork ribs from the beast

philpom

I hadn't fired up the offset for a few years.  Had to fight off a large red wasp nest under the cover (fun) and then burn a hot fire to clean her up and get it back it shape.  It was fun!  Next day I fired her back up and smoked some great pork back ribs, stuffed bell peppers, meat balls and cabbage.   I really enjoy the real-estate.  Ribs have no glaze, the rest is planned for another meal this week (or three).  The beast turns out amazing results.

This cook was done at about 225 using Kingsford (as a starter) and post oak.

20220731_210924.thumb.jpg.1bfa4229f0864d1427697df90a5d21e0.jpg

20220731_191604.thumb.jpg.8b065f8441e98de56d3debc1a45b88e8.jpg

20220731_212104.thumb.jpg.cca09409cb34194644518b6fd472049a.jpg

20220731_150126.thumb.jpg.3346fe4640410de69d0f2fda7ccf8127.jpg

20220731_191616.thumb.jpg.67e0ef86e1cc2deea10e69cc9aa9a2a9.jpg

20220731_191612.thumb.jpg.342633010ccb66c587339a2bbf7def64.jpg

I could easily fit much more, that combined with the control and great results is why I enjoy this smoker.....  oh and tending the fire, that's always fun.  Compromises right?

Fantastic looking cook - probably tasted even better! I gave my offset away earlier this year. I also loved the real estate (once smoked 3 large turkeys and still had plenty of room), but it had sat for several years without any use. I got tired of babysitting the fire and the cleanup was a major PITA. But I still miss it - even if it just sat in its space like a big trophy.

10 hours ago, jark87 said:

Fantastic looking cook - probably tasted even better! I gave my offset away earlier this year. I also loved the real estate (once smoked 3 large turkeys and still had plenty of room), but it had sat for several years without any use. I got tired of babysitting the fire and the cleanup was a major PITA. But I still miss it - even if it just sat in its space like a big trophy.

Fantastic ribs, I have to say better than I can get off of the kamado - Just a fact of life, Jack of all trades but master of none.  I think it's the intense hot fire combined with low temps.  I was using 8-10" diameter logs, you could never use pure wood in a kamado based on the fact that it's a smoldering fire.  No knock at all on the kamado, I love my Primo and use it all the time, just facts of life.  In my professional life I would rather have 7 jacks of all trades and 3 masters of one on my team than the opposite. 

13 hours ago, philpom said:

In my professional life I would rather have 7 jacks of all trades and 3 masters of one on my team than the opposite. 

100% in agreement! I still have my Kettle with SnS and Pit Barrel Cooker, along with the natural gasser. Even though I had the offset in a dedicated space off of the main patio area, my wife hated it, probably because she found a snake in the leaves that collected underneath. Given that I hadn’t used it in years, it was hard to argue getting rid of it, especially since it weighed several hundred pounds. When the crew remodeling our outdoor kitchen expressed interest, I was kind of glad I had found someone who could actually move it out from our backyard.

Phil nice looking cook. I do battle her with wasps also (usually I get a free allergy test from them once a year) they like hiding in the tractor controls or under the deck railing. I gave my offset to my son and miss the ribs I got off it, but it was too big for the two of use. The smoked cabbage looks interesting