Pork Blade Tenderloin vs Center Cut Pork Tenderloin

jark87

My wife bought pork blade tenderloin (package was 2 pieces) instead of center cut tenderloin loin. Research tells me that the blade end is near the shoulder. Do I still target an internal temp of 145° or is the blade loin more like pork butt, which I cook to roughly 200°? This is my first pork tenderloin and I don’t want to dry it out. Also, does anyone know if the blade tenderloin is also the same as the money muscle? Just curious. 

TIA for any feedback!

Thats how I cook all my pork these days, except sausage. I never cared for pulled pork smoked as a whole butt, but liked pork steaks for some reason. Little did I know I was overcooking them to 165 and turning into dry, chewy shoe leather. This past spring I had a whole butt sliced into 1.5" steaks and experimented by seasoning one like a NY strip, cooking it fast and hot and pulling at 140.  Turned out delicious, tender and moist! Only way to go, IMO.

39 minutes ago, willys1 said:

I never cared for pulled pork smoked as a whole butt,

I had always like pulled pork when cooked by others, but I just couldn’t seem to get it right. I finally found a good Carolina style recipe that uses and red wine vinegar based mop sauce. I now enjoy cooking the butt.

@jark87 I have been into making my own sauce. Can you part with the red wine vinegar recipe?

This close? I have had mixed luck with internet recipes. Many IMO seem to be conjured up in some food editor cubicle and not tried real time.

1. 1 cup red wine vinegar.
  2. 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
  3. 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
  4. ½ tablespoon dried cilantro.
  5. ½ teaspoon sea salt.
  6. ½ teaspoon ground cumin.
  7. 1 teaspoon onion powder.
  8. 1 teaspoon garlic powder.

edit for additional 

15 hours ago, mike echo said:

Can you part with the red wine vinegar recipe?

You bet - very simple recipe. I found it on YouTube - KamadoMax. Video is below.

2 cups apple cider vinegar 

2 tbsp red pepper flakes

1 tbsp kosher salt

1 tbsp coarse black pepper

I added brown sugar for the last batch I made and liked the sweetness that it added. I don’t recall how much I used - probably 1 or 2 tablespoons.