Temperature Control by Vision Company Owner

On 4/8/2019 at 11:54 AM, bushcraft_joe said:

Since I have the Professional S coming I would like to see if anyone has any other info to share on this?  The top grate I understand, but the dual knobs for temperature control have me confused a bit.  When do you know to open the one on the right, and not the left, or vice versa?  Are people still have issues with the temperature regulation with brand new ones?

I personally only use the left side to start a smoke or grill around 375 to 425, the guide calls for the right side when you go above 5. Wide open would obviously be both vents cranked.

According to the guide 300 or so degrees(if I remember correctly)would have 5 on the bottom and 2 on top for example.

My vent drawer leaked air, the gasket didn't sit right and Vision kindly sent me another gasket which fixed the problem, but I suspect there is a little air getting in there and adjust my vents accordingly. Of course charcoal counts too.

The top vent lets out some air even on zero, by design I guess. The vent is closed, but there is some slack.

Don't get me wrong I love my Vision grill, all day slow cook on tomorrow, pork butt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I gave Vision and call this week and talked about temp control and they provided this information below that was created I was told by Bruce (i do believe) the owner of Vision Grill. The “key” to c

This method works best for me on both my Vision Pro S and my Primo XL: I stack the lump appropriate for the cook I intend, i.e., volcano for longer cooks, and mix in whatever smoking wood I'm using.

The essence of the above post is you've got to know the response curve of your kamado. Spend an afternoon learning how to hit 225, 250, 275, 300, 325, 350, 375, 400, 425, & 450. These are the most

Posted Images

Here is my question as a new owner.. if you blow past you temp.. looking for 300 and hit 400... how do you get it down in a timely matter??  Shutting all the vents or closing them to a “1” setting too and bottom doesn’t seem to allow it to cool down... 

Sarge

Welcome Sarge1847.  :welcome:  Cooling down a ceramic kamado takes time.  Closing down the vents will help, combined with opening the dome temporarily to allow some trapped heat to escape.  But the process requires patience.  Once that ceramic gets heat soaked, it simply does not cool as quickly as metal.

• 10 months later...
On 4/8/2019 at 11:54 AM, bushcraft_joe said:

Since I have the Professional S coming I would like to see if anyone has any other info to share on this?  The top grate I understand, but the dual knobs for temperature control have me confused a bit.  When do you know to open the one on the right, and not the left, or vice versa?  Are people still have issues with the temperature regulation with brand new ones?

You're going to need a few burns for it to function correctly even if it's excellent. The top will eventually seal but *all( Kamados with a cast iron top vent initially leak and eventually can seal. Don't try to do a low and slow cook until you can shut it down and it goes out in minutes. Really fatty and smokey things get it sealed up fast, like hamburgers cooked with the top closed.

As far as which lower vent to open, it makes absolutely no difference on the Pro S. On the Pro C it matters because they are different kinds of knobs. But, on the pro s you can run the left one on 2, and the right one closed, or the right one on 2 and left closed, or both on 1. This will work out about the same regardless. If you follow the numbers and guide just thinking of them as a continuously increasing slider from 1-10. The only real convenience of the numbers is to help remember what works on your machine and perhaps document it. 

• 2 months later...

Hello all, noob here on charcoal grilling/smoking. I also have an older Vision B classic from Sam's club a few years back (older version). I did a brisket first time and although it came out okay I had issues with getting to the 250-275 temp. The temp keeps creeping up to 325 even with both vents top/bottom closed. I contacted Vision and they said that it could be me felt seals that needs changing but the Vision is barely used so I don't think that is the issue. I also did the dollar bill and the dollar stays taught and doesn't come out when I pull while dome is closed. I suspect the window vent at the bottom is loose and want to try Chris's method (nibblemethisDOTcom)  of gluing ball bearings on the corners. Has anyone tried that and are there other hacks for this? Also, I noticed the red seal around the outer vent box is that the jb weld adhesive? My other concern is that the top vent gets a bit stuck when I'm trying to adjust from 1-2-3 while the grill is hot. Is this the expansion that is mentioned? My top vent's whole unit turns when I try to adjust the 1-2-3 and I have to use mitts to hold the bottom piece while I tap on the top gently to move it to 1-2-3 is that normal? Sorry for all the questions. If I can only get a low and hold temp on my Vision B Classic, I would ditch (well actually store) my Weber Gen II gas grill). : )  Thanks

vision top.jpg

vision vent.jpg

vision vent2.jpg

visionwhole.jpg

• 9 months later...

I tried my first smoke on my new Vision grill pro yesterday.  Things were going great until about an hour in and the temp started to spike.  It got out of control and I had to remove the ribs and finish in the oven.  The Vision got close to 500 degrees.  I can confirm that once it gets too hot you can't bring it back.  I am going to do what another commenter suggested and spend an afternoon mastering it, without risking meat.  On the bright side the ribs weren't ruined just not as good as if they had been naked to the smoke for the duration.

There is definitely more of a learning curve than I thought with komado smoking.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2014 at 7:14 PM, BSA said:

Jerri, be careful getting it too hot.  I fried my gaskets big time.  I think the grill was past 600 and the maverick almost got toasted because it isn't built to go that high.  Make sure you have a lot of lump in there--way past the holes and no diffuser.

I have s Vission S and burned the gasket to cinders getting it too hot. 
I changed it but now I wonder- how do you make pizza without burning the gasket. HELP!!

On 6/22/2019 at 8:47 AM, Hey Loadie said:

I personally only use the left side to start a smoke or grill around 375 to 425, the guide calls for the right side when you go above 5. Wide open would obviously be both vents cranked.

According to the guide 300 or so degrees(if I remember correctly)would have 5 on the bottom and 2 on top for example.

My vent drawer leaked air, the gasket didn't sit right and Vision kindly sent me another gasket which fixed the problem, but I suspect there is a little air getting in there and adjust my vents accordingly. Of course charcoal counts too.

The top vent lets out some air even on zero, by design I guess. The vent is closed, but there is some slack.

Don't get me wrong I love my Vision grill, all day slow cook on tomorrow, pork butt.

I observed the same thing, some smoke leaked from the top even on zero. 
about the two semicircular knobs in the bottom, I experimented using one, closing it and using the other and noticed no difference. I am completely confused as to what is each of them for. For 250 I have the top almost closed (1/8”) and the bottom one of them half way between closed and 1. So far 2 hours holding steady. When I put my prime roast in it wanted to go to 300 but closing the top for a while got it back to 250. 

20 minutes ago, CristinaMS said:

I have s Vission S and burned the gasket to cinders getting it too hot. 
I changed it but now I wonder- how do you make pizza without burning the gasket. HELP!!

Welcome Christina and hello. I actually learned to kamado cook on a Vision Pro C, which is almost identical to your S with the exception of the shape of the ash drawer assembly and the Knob configuration. I cooked a ton of pizza at about 600  650 degs, I did wear out my original gasket and replaced it with a Vision  nomex high heat gasket which lasted years and years. I gave my Vision to the young man that delivered by current kamado a large BGE he is still cooking on my high heat Vision gasket must be 10 years now. 

On 6/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, CristinaMS said:

I observed the same thing, some smoke leaked from the top even on zero. 
about the two semicircular knobs in the bottom, I experimented using one, closing it and using the other and noticed no difference. I am completely confused as to what is each of them for. For 250 I have the top almost closed (1/8”) and the bottom one of them half way between closed and 1. So far 2 hours holding steady. When I put my prime roast in it wanted to go to 300 but closing the top for a while got it back to 250. 

Yesterday I did my first 10 lb prime rib roast. My Vision S held a consistent 250F for 4 hours with the top between closed and the smallest sliver open and one of the bottom knobs at 1/2” and the other closed. The meat took 3 hours to go from 39F to 124F. Went to a cooler with foil and towels for longer than an hour ( hate when guests are really late). The Royal Oak charcoal I had didn’t have too many big pieces and by the time I had to sear the meat I only could get 409F. It turned out fine but I’d have liked it more rare and with more bark. Conclusion- get better charcoal (would love SUGGESTIONS PLEASE)  and start my cook at least half an hour later and have the guests wait for dinner rather than how it went.  
Really happy with the outcome when I got over myself and my perfectionism. 

BF483C00-61E6-46F3-84E8-5073E2482565.jpeg

0ED55BD4-740C-4D03-ABDB-F420AB824D07.jpeg

Christina First the gasket being burned by high heat is it a felt gasket? I think your problem with getting only to 400 degrees is due to the size of charcoal. I had the same problem with a few bags of Royal Oak and had trouble hitting 400, With large pieces it will be ok for higher temps 700 for pizza I've used Ro for quite a few years and had no problems except those 2 bags. I also use Rockwood or B&B. both have had large pieces. Can't help with the knob settings. Glad your prime rib came out good, it took awhile for my family and guest to learn Prime Rib waits for no one