Recommended Thermometer for Akorn

2 hours ago, kappclark said:

I think I will dip my toe into the water with a ThermoPro TP-16 

AkornGrill-1.jpg

IMG_20220914_153913796.jpg

IMG_20220914_153928287.jpg

IMG_20220914_153951598.jpg

IMG_20220914_154026574.jpg

If you're thinking of another thermometer already, you might take a look at the TP 09 

https://buythermopro.com/product/tp-09/

Currently very similar price to the TP16, and has an RF remote.  I used a similar unit for quite a while before biting the bullet on a controller.  And you can check this one from away from the grill - claim is 300 ft., my experience (different unit, same claimed distance) was about 30-50 ft. on a good day.  But it was enough that I could stay inside rather than walking out to check the meat temp.

Nice shape for that grill!  Good find:good:

"You came out like a bandit with this one!"  Looks like you got about $200 worth of perfectly serviceable gear for nothing!

Yes, it truly is amazing what some people will simply throw away. (Who knows: maybe the owner didn't pay the rent ...)

You should have no problem locating the center insert for the grill plate – on the internet someplace, or maybe with the manufacturer – and in the meantime you can certainly cook without it.  I can't see what else "in the front is missing," but it's not anything that you might need.

- - -

I'm a computer-geek by trade, but when it comes to cooking I like things very simple.  (Maybe because I know a little too much about how all that "computerized wizardry" actually works!) 

However: "to thine own geek-self be true ..."  Gadgets can be a lot of fun.

Bottom line easy:  As long as you have any thermometer device which will allow you to continuously monitor temperatures – firebox, and food – without opening the lid, you should be set.  Bonus points if it comes with anything that you can conveniently carry around in your pocket so you can sit down to first-course dinner without wondering "what's going on out there."  The probe wires should be wrapped in temperature-resistant mesh. 

When you unwrap it, put both probes (wear oven mitts!) in a saucepan of rapidly-boiling water without touching the bottom of the pan, and confirm that both of them read exactly 212ºF or 100ºC when exposed only to the boiling water.  If they both do that, you're good to go. (If not, note the difference, as you decide whether or not to return it.)  You can spend as little or as much money as you want on stuff like this, as long as you buy quality.  Keep the manual in the bag.  (Also keep the receipt ...)

@MikeRobinson said:When you unwrap it, put both probes (wear oven mitts!) in a saucepan of rapidly-boiling water without touching the bottom of the pan, and confirm that both of them read exactly 212ºF or 100ºC when exposed only to the boiling water.  If they both do that, you're good to go. (If not, note the difference, as you decide whether or not to return it.)  You can spend as little or as much money as you want on stuff like this, as long as you buy quality.  Keep the manual in the bag.  (Also keep the receipt ...)

==========

I have the TP=16 now, and will calibrate ... we are at abt 2,000' altitude, so I think water will boil at a lower temp (I will need to look that up) ... I can do the same with ice water - right ??  0 deg C

On 9/15/2022 at 5:06 PM, JeffieBoy said:

@kappclark  I believe that you can order replacement cooking grids and grid centres online through the acorn website or even Amazon if I remember correctly

Thanks - I will check that out --- the grate seems to be missing part of the front -- and the center piece, of course... and it truly is amazing what people will part with -- already need to pick up more charcol ---

I know it is a charcol grill-- duh.. but could I burn dry maple kindling if I run out of charcol and need to get the grill fired up (we are 20 mins from the store ...

Yes, I think you're right: the front lip appears to be broken off.  (How did they manage that?) 

Looks like the manufacturer site "chargriller.com" has every replacement part you could wish for, organized by model.  The "inner" and "outer" grates are sold separately, and nothing's expensive.  Just look in the top menu under "Parts."

I'm sure that you could burn anything if you had to.  In the low-oxygen environment of a kamado, the wood might turn into charcoal.  (I don't know for sure.)

Also note that I find the Akorns to be extremely stingy with fuel:  just shut both the top and bottom vents after a cook and, tomorrow morning, most of the charcoal will still be there, ready to be gathered up and put back in the bag.  It's crazy how little fuel the darned thing uses.  I've now run "low and slow" for an entire day and still had "leftovers." 

Vents "barely open," but the thermometer told me that the fire was still in there, burning steadily along.  And it just stays there, mostly without intervention.  I've never seen anything like it.