Starting a Fire for Low and Slow - Definitive

Holy smokes! 14 pages!

After 14 pages it's no longer definitive. Sort of mass confusion at its best.

When i mentioned that the definitive string was the longest-- Philpom said---- hey I tried. I got a good laugh out of that. In reality many new people with an AKORN are going to post in this section.

It appears that there is a whole range of factory delivered air leaks or in some cases not. The first post by Philpom will get you there if you follow it.

Ultimately if you have a tight bottom and top then you will have easy control.

To find leaks get a good hot fire going around 350 and add wood for smoke and shut it down.

LEAKY TOP

1--seal around the base of the top vent and dome or get a new O ring.

2- At dome gasket--- bend the latch. Test when latched--- can you move the top dome when it is latched? If it is not movable then you do not likely have a leak.

Once sealed temperature can be controlled from the top with a leaky bottom.

LEAKY BOTTOM

This is indicated when you are down to a sliver or just the half moon on the top vent to control temp. Hey if you are liking your results cooking this way no need to go any further--you have control of the temp.

Below is my opinion based on my experience. As they say mileage may vary.

1-most common source of air leaks IMO--between the air slide and its base.---felt behind slide--new ones that I have seen run from very loose to perfect.

2- second most common source of air leaks is between the entire  air slide assembly and the round ash trap.---silicone around the edges.

3- open seams where the round bowl and the flat top of the ash trap meet---between the tack welds.---silicon on gaps--check from time to time when you empty the ashes.

4- between the ash trap and the main body of the  Kamado----latch and see if you can wiggle it around---bend the latches.

All of these are detailed in the beginning of this topic and the mods section. Philipom has posted some great pictures.

• 5 weeks later...

I used the cotton ball method yesterday to season my new Akorn, but I could not get the cotton ball to stay lit.  It would burn for about 15 seconds and then go out.  I tried several times but could not get it to stay burning  Any suggestions?

I used the cotton ball method yesterday to season my new Akorn, but I could not get the cotton ball to stay lit. It would burn for about 15 seconds and then go out. I tried several times but could not get it to stay burning Any suggestions?

Try lighting the cotton ball with MAPP torch.

Yes, check the percentage in the alcohol bottle. Isopropyl comes in various "strengths" and you need the strongest "proof" on the shelf. 91% will do the trick...

I tried squirting alcohol directly onto the charcoal but it didn't seem to provide an even fire. And it took a while for puddles of alcohol to burn out; time that was better spent cooking.  Using alcohol directly will for sure work, but it requires some practice.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently purchased a chargriller kamado and the top vent on it has no number grading on it what so ever. I was wondering if someone could elaborate on the system so I could have a better understanding of what is trying to be explained. Or if someone has enough time to post a pic of theirs so I may copy the numbers with some paint onto mine it would be very helpful and newbies like myself would be grateful for it. I tried to enlarge Phils profile pic but it gets too fuzzy to make out any detail.

I used the cotton ball method yesterday to season my new Akorn, but I could not get the cotton ball to stay lit. It would burn for about 15 seconds and then go out. I tried several times but could not get it to stay burning Any suggestions?

Try lighting the cotton ball with MAPP torch.

LOL

I just recently purchased a chargriller kamado and the top vent on it has no number grading on it what so ever. I was wondering if someone could elaborate on the system so I could have a better understanding of what is trying to be explained. Or if someone has enough time to post a pic of theirs so I may copy the numbers with some paint onto mine it would be very helpful and newbies like myself would be grateful for it. I tried to enlarge Phils profile pic but it gets too fuzzy to make out any detail.

HI

I don't have my CGK any longer or I would take a pic but....

fully open is 5, fully closed is 0, open your vent visually to 1/2 and that would be 2.5 - from those marks perhaps you could determine the others?

Thanks Phil, I scoured the internet and found a good pic that led me back to the mods section of this site. Someone posted a pic on how they painted the numbers and I was able to use it to add a scale to mine. I used some painters masking tape to mark the two ends, 0 & 5 and then pulled it off so I could lay it flat and measure the increments easier. Once divided up I put the tape back on it about a quarter inch up and used a toothpick and some paint I had in the basement and just put a drop at each point so I would have a repeatable index to follow.post-4280-0-37982400-1388326268_thumb.jp

Thanks Phil, I scoured the internet and found a good pic that led me back to the mods section of this site. Someone posted a pic on how they painted the numbers and I was able to use it to add a scale to mine. I used some painters masking tape to mark the two ends, 0 & 5 and then pulled it off so I could lay it flat and measure the increments easier. Once divided up I put the tape back on it about a quarter inch up and used a toothpick and some paint I had in the basement and just put a drop at each point so I would have a repeatable index to follow.

Looks great, nice job.