dman

Sirloin Top Roast

Got a 3 3/4lb Sirloin top roast rubbed and resting in the fridge. I want to try it on direct heat at around 320 degrees. Any suggestions on whether to leave it alone, baste it, use the heat shield or not, what internal temp to remove it and foil it at?

This is my second attempt with a small roast. The first one, an eye of round, I marinated overnight after applying rub and grilled it without the deflector until internal temp hit 160 degrees - turns out too long since the meat tasted good but was a bit tough. I don't know if that was the cut or the cooking time/temp (1.5 hours to 160)

Since this is all new to me all suggestions are welcome.

I have no experience with roasts but I am so sold on cooking with indirect heat that I will be shaking in my boots when I do work up the courage to try

Let us know how the cook goes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I cook my until 135 internal temp at 325-350ish direct heat. I tent it for a 20-30 min and then slice. That should give you a nice med cook with a very soft pink interior. If you like it cooked more than go 140-145 internal temp.

It's been on since 12:45 pm at 320-335. Still trying to figure out the heat regulation. Right now I plan on pulling it at 140 and tenting it for 20-30 minutes. Should that get it to medium?

It's been on since 12:45 pm at 320-335. Still trying to figure out the heat regulation. Right now I plan on pulling it at 140 and tenting it for 20-30 minutes. Should that get it to medium?

140 is medium.

I'd do what John says and pull at 135. Check it in several locations. Good luck, look'n good!