Sign in to follow this  
brandokamado

Best pizza stone??

Should have bought the KamadoJoe stone at the dealer the other day, but left with only the heat deflector and cover. Before I drive an hour back to the dealer, I thought I would get the forums opinions on pizza stones. So which one are you using and why do you like it?

Thanks,

Brandon

In my honest opinion, the Big Green Egg pizza stones are the best I have ever seen. I don't know if there is a Kamado Joe branded stone or not, but if there is, I'd look into it. The BGE stone is thick and heavy duty.

My pizza stone is a rather inexpensive Oneida brand stone that I picked up at Bed Bath & Beyond. I think I paid $16 for my stone as compared to the $50 for the BGE stone, but it will work for me for now.

Also check Amazon before you make an hour drive each way to get one....

Only a suggestion, do you have a mid to higher range kitchen wares store in your town? I am betting they may have a comparable stone at or near the same price as the KJoe store. Personal feeling is that you will pay $35+ for a stone that will last you awhile. I pick up a Good Cook brand from Safeway, About $15, even wrapped it in foil and it broke on the fourth use from the heat. They have one at Sign of the Bear, a kitchen store here in Sonoma for $45. It looks very sturdy. You might also check out EBay and Amazon, some good deals, delivered to your door so you are not burning through the gas.

My past experience with pizza stones has taught me a few lessons about breaking them. I have never broken a stone from high heat that I put on the grill and let warm up with the grill (or oven). I have broken them by exposing them to high heat when they are cold AND by removing them from the high heat to a cool/cold environment. The cheap Oneida stone I have right now survived a 700+ degree cook of a pizza on my Char-Griller Kamado last weekend.

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies guys. KJ has a stone and I almost got it the other day, looks very thick, close to 5/8". Saw a BGE stone too and they are pretty similar. I've seen a few questionable ones on Amazon and usually go the online route, but sometimes shipping is the deal breaker there. Thanks for all the info, seems like it's best to go with one made for grilling, or at least get the thickest one available.

I just bought a Food Network pizza stone from Kohls the other day. Have not used it yet, but plan to do so this weekend. I do have another stone from Red Sky Grilling that is made for the Weber 22.5 inch kettles. Works fantastic, but unfortunatley it does not fit my Char Griller Kamado.

I have a Big Green Egg Pizza Stone and one from Kamado Joe and Love them both but like the Kamado Joe one better! the stone is smoother and larger!

Y'all will think I'm crazy, but I love the Lodge cast iron pizza stone. Never broke one in the 20 plus years I've had it. Good in the oven, goon on the grills (including akorn) and in a pinch have even put it on 2 bricks over a camp fire covered with another cast iron pan as a lid. We get them on the cheap from the factory as they have a "seconds" area that look pretty good to me.

Anybody else have any experience with the Pampered Chef stone?? I have read NOT to use this stone on kamado grills. From what I've read, they aren't thick enough and break due to the high heat that these grills are capable of.

People seem to either love or hate them with not too much in the middle. The biggest complaint I have read about them is cracking during normal use. I don't know if those who have had them break are not careful enough or if the material is indeed fragile and prone to "shock" damage. Either way, as some one else said, high heat alone should not damage a stone as long as it comes up to heat along with the cooker. A cold stone and hot oven = breaking, and a hot stone on cold granite counter tops is also trouble, just don't ask how I know about this last issue.

CqIOXc37Ktg

This is one of my Char-Griller Akorn Kamado review videos where I cooked a pizza. This should go to show that a cheap pizza stone can handle the task of a very hot cook quite well...

Important:

Let the stone warm up with the cooker.
Use a diffuser under the stone.

Should work NO PROBLEM :)

JM,

Great video. Nice looking pie! The ability to do pizzas at high temps was one of the main reasons I bought a kamado grill as well. Haven't decided on a stone yet, but gonna do some searching this weekend.

Happy belated Birthday!!

I read elsewhere that the Cordierite Baking/Pizza Stone can take pretty much any heat you throw at it. Not sure what the posters were talking about, but "Cone 10" can take 2300 degrees, and "Cone 6" can withstand 1900 degrees.

This link came from the BSK site.

http://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-15roundx58.aspx

You can also buy these at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-PC0101 ... B005IF2ZNM

John, hope links are ok. If not I apologize.

Ssssooo... I have a pizza stone like the first one from this pizza stones for grill review and this stone is with me for two years. I've used it only in stove and dont know if it will be ok in the real heat of oven.

Need advice here, please! Should I just use mine and don't give any damn till it break or better to get a new one specilly for a new oven?