can I use wood chunks?

instead of "lump charcoal"? wouldn't the flavor be better? I have been a stick burner my entire life so adjusting to the lump coal isn't making me feel good. I like to burn hickory, pecan, oak, mesquite and apple combinations when I smoke. Anybody got any recommendations for the type of fuel to burn? Thanks

Charcoal or lump produces much more heat and much less smoke than burning straight wood. Most people prefer the flavor of charcoal, with a few wood chips added if desired.

Yes you can--I put some lump in then added some chunk of wook and more lump and put more chunks on top of the lump..Like you I have been a stick burner for a long time...I done my first Butts yesterday and they were Great....so good that I put my Lang 60D up for sale

Same here, Benny. I'm going to try to make chunks work, I have cords of Hickory, Cherry, Pecan and Apple in 14" lenghts and split for my stick smoker.

In my OK Joe vertical smoker the only charcoal it sees is a chimney full to get the wood going. I'll try a test burn Sunday or first of the week.

Ken

I have cooked steaks and burgers in my Weber Kettle using only wood chunks several times in the past. It works really well and the flavor is excellent. You just have to treat it like you would your stick burner and let the fire get going nicely before you start.

• 4 months later...

Folks,

I purchased some Colorado Mountain Red Mohogany wood chunks. These chunks feel like chunks of raw marble.

I was afraid to use them with my old Char-Griller, but I am looking forward to use them with my new Saffire when it arrives.

I am hoping to use them with Bread and Pizza. I think the trick is going to be getting them to light.

Any comments on Iron wood with Charcoal would be appreciated.

Cheers,

-Fred

Folks,

I purchased some Colorado Mountain Red Mohogany wood chunks. These chunks feel like chunks of raw marble.

I was afraid to use them with my old Char-Griller, but I am looking forward to use them with my new Saffire when it arrives.

I am hoping to use them with Bread and Pizza. I think the trick is going to be getting them to light.

Any comments on Iron wood with Charcoal would be appreciated.

Cheers,

-Fred

If it's like ironwood here in the Southeast, it will burn easy if it's dry. It does burn hot and long since it's so dense. Placing the chunks on some hot coals should get them going.

Ken

We had unlimited supply of "iron wood" for the wood burner when I was a kid. I'm not sure it is the same around the country but here in Western NY people tend to refer to Shag Bark Hickory as "iron wood" and it had a great smell and was incredibly hard.

I experimented with some burgers the other night. I placed about a small chimney's worth of lump in the kamado, mounded it all to one side. I waited for it to grey down then I put about a equal amount of cut up oak wine staves on top of it. I waited for them to get going pretty good then I put the burgers on. I seared then on the flaming side for about 4-5 minutes, flipped them, let them sear on the other side a little bit. Then, I moved them over out of the flames, dampered down both vents completely and shut the lid. Let them go for a few more minutes and pulled them. They were some of the best burgers I have ever made.

I'd use charcoal with wood chunks for flavor when smoking

Wood works well in an offset because you are burning the wood.

In a kamodo the charcoal/ wood smolders because they are so efficient you need little heat production to keep them at smoking temps

When grilling its OK