RTV high temp sealer???

Guys, I went to ACE hardware today to get some high temp sealant, for all of the gaps on my kamado, but the guys told me they wouldn't put it on a smoker/grill as it isn't designed for items cooking food (hazardous to health)??? Any help in telling me exactly what to get would be much appreciated.

I would agree with the furnace cement. A tube like this can be found at HD or most hardware stores. Look for it in their Fireplace Accessory sections. This one is Mecco's, pretty common wherever they sell stuff for fireplaces.

MMC_120%20121%20122%20stove%20sealer%20&%20Fireplace%20mortar.jpg

Guys, I went to ACE hardware today to get some high temp sealant, for all of the gaps on my kamado, but the guys told me they wouldn't put it on a smoker/grill as it isn't designed for items cooking food (hazardous to health)??? Any help in telling me exactly what to get would be much appreciated.

I see almost zero risk with rtv.You are not using it on any cooking surfaces.And it is not coming into contact with direct flame nor is the possibility of residual contamination a possibility.

The thing with high temp RTV silicone is two fold;

-no company in the US has ever gone through the process of getting FDA approval for that application. Therefore, no one will tell you that it is ok to use on a grill, or any cooking device for that mater.

-until it is fully cured there is a risk of getting some rtv on your hands before you handle any food source, thus contaminating your food with rtv is possible.

Is the rtv harmful if you were to eat some of it, that all depends. The rtv itself is not harmful, the red (high temp quality) comes from the red iron oxide that is in the hight temp stuff to add to the heat resistance. ( This is rusty cars ground up and mixed in with the silicone. ) Probably not enough to harm y'all (we eat ground up metal in our breakfast cereal) but because it has not undergone FDA testing no one will say it is okay to eat.

-silicone oil, used to make high temp rtv, is also used in ketchup and other food items because it is a low cost, no calorie, all natural thickener.

-I would use it in and on my grill without hesitation.

For anyone worried, just tonight I "fixed" the small air leak around my lower vent using BGE replacement gasket. The entire roll cost $10 and is enough to fix it a dozen times if needed. It is a felt material with adhesive on one side.

I removed the 3 screws holding the vent control on, cut strips of the gasket and applied it around the opening. I had to create a notch for the piece that I placed on the far left for the screw. Other than that it ws a PAC. Put the vent control back on and I am certain it is very tight now.

I am thinking that using something like a very small rope gasket material would work just aswell. I don't think it will burn out but I will certainly share the results.