Sign in to follow this  
ckreef

1st Calzones & my Pizza Setup

I decided to try Calzones tonight.

This is my Pizza Stone Riser. It is a canning jar holder (from Walmart) w/ the hanging arms removed. Raises the stone 2 1/2" off the grate.

post-2556-13756510539487_thumb.jpg

Here is the Pizza Stone on the Riser.

post-2556-13756510538379_thumb.jpg

Calzones are ready.

post-2556-13756510536852_thumb.jpg

Calzones are done. The dough was a little thick. The recipe I used I could have made 3 or 4 but instead I split the dough in 2 equal parts which made a thicker dough. Cooked at about 425* for 17 mins. Next time I will cook at 375*.

post-2556-13756510535588_thumb.jpg

Bottom of a Calzone. This was a successful adventure just need to tweak it a little next go round.

post-2556-13756510534784_thumb.jpg

I used the standard pizza dough recipe as posted by Matthew. It was enough dough to make 4 decent sized calzones. The thinner crust would have cooked the inside better.

I posted a KISS Pizza sauce recipe.

The guts on these were cheese, pepperoni, and green peppers. Next time I want to add some precooked Italian sausage.

They look really good to me!

Curious, are saying you want to lower the temp because the inside wasn't cooked enough? Maybe the dough was just too thick? I would think you had the right temperature for calzone...

Curious, are saying you want to lower the temp because the inside wasn't cooked enough? Maybe the dough was just too thick? I would think you had the right temperature for calzone...

I believe you are right. The dough was too thick which insulated the inside from the heat. Will try again really soon with the thinner dough and see what happens.

Mmm, looks good. I have been wanting to get a stone and make some stromboli on the Akorn, I have one of the canning racks so maybe I will put it to good use. Haven't made any pizza on the Akorn as my wife thinks it will get too much smoke... Pffft, what doe she know.... I'll show her....

Mmm, looks good. I have been wanting to get a stone and make some stromboli on the Akorn, I have one of the canning racks so maybe I will put it to good use. Haven't made any pizza on the Akorn as my wife thinks it will get too much smoke... Pffft, what doe she know.... I'll show her....

Just don't use any smoking wood. The lump itself should add just a hint of smoke flavor.