This post will contain links to commonly used modifications and fixes for the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker Grill & Smoker. If you think a thread should be included on this list, please let me know...

Charcoal Grate, Split Diffuser, & Searing Basket
High Heat Searing Basket Video
Rain Hat for the Akorn
Sealing Air Leaks w/BGE Gasket Material

Needed: Additional pictorial demonstration of sealing the air vent / ash pan

Edited by John Setzler
Added tags...

Ash pan quick pic fix. Show still photos of what is discussed in video above. These are my fixed photos using copper rtv caulking. i will adjust photo sizes when i have access tomorrow.

Edit: this mod failed within a cooking season. Never fixed it and never need to. I would skip it.

I sealed mine with the rtv on the outside of the smoker, like the pictures show. I don't believe anything is going to get "pulled into" the smoker, hence the reason we are sealing to begin with to prevent heat from leaving. I'm kinda with you but hope nothing bad comes from it..

I just put my akorn together and used high temp rtv to seal the vent area i pulled the slider off rtv'ed behind there as well. I did not rtv the top flat surface is there a reason for that as the gasket should take care of that?

I just put my akorn together and used high temp rtv to seal the vent area i pulled the slider off rtv'ed behind there as well. I did not rtv the top flat surface is there a reason for that as the gasket should take care of that?

I agree, use your latch when you are cooking and it should seal up pretty darn well for you.

I "fixed" my very small air leak on the lower vent control using BGE replacement gasket.

Benefits:

1. Ready to use instantly

2. Assured food safe

3. Fair price

4. Very easy

5. No mess

In the photo below you can see the felt gasket in place. You can just see it between the vent control and ash catcher body. I used shears and cut it in to strips. The material has a peal off adhesive on the back so it was easy to apply. The only catch was cutting a notch in the left most piece so the screw would go in.

IMG_20120430_225902.jpg

Here is a shot of the gasket material. It should last for years and years.

IMG_20120430_230046.jpg

Good luck with your repair!

This post will contain links to commonly used modifications and fixes for the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker Grill & Smoker. If you think a thread should be included on this list, please let me know...

Charcoal Grate, Split Diffuser, & Searing Basket

High Heat Searing Basket Video

Rain Hat for the Akorn

Sealing Air Leaks (first part of video)

Needed: Additional pictorial demonstration of sealing the air vent / ash pan

In the one video you said you used a charcoal grate from a 22" wsm whats the actual size of that grate is it 16"?

I "fixed" my very small air leak on the lower vent control using BGE replacement gasket.

Benefits:

1. Ready to use instantly

2. Assured food safe

3. Fair price

4. Very easy

5. No mess

In the photo below you can see the felt gasket in place. You can just see it between the vent control and ash catcher body. I used shears and cut it in to strips. The material has a peal off adhesive on the back so it was easy to apply. The only catch was cutting a notch in the left most piece so the screw would go in.

IMG_20120430_225902.jpg

Here is a shot of the gasket material. It should last for years and years.

IMG_20120430_230046.jpg

Good luck with your repair!

Do you have a better description and or pics of this method of sealing i see it but im not comprehending how you did it?. did you sandwich it between the vent?

Do you have a better description and or pics of this method of sealing i see it but im not comprehending how you did it?. did you sandwich it between the vent?

No more pictures but here is a better description.

1. I removed the lower vent control from the ash pan body with a #2 philips screw driver (3 screws)

2. I used scissors and cut thin stips of the felt to the correct length required. (2 short pieces and 2 long pieces)

3. Clean the area around the vent opening on the ash pan body to make sure it sticks well.

3. Used the felt I cut in to strips, removed the backing to expose the adhesive and framed around the opening on the ash pan. (stick it on the ash pan around the opening) Trim as needed to get a good neat fit.

At this point I have an ash pan with felt stuck all the way around the opening where the vent control goes.

4. Place the vent control in place and attached it using a #2 philips screwdriver and the 3 screws I removed in step 1.

So now you have a layer of felt trapped between the vent control and the ash pan body forming a complete seal all the way around. Think valve cover gasket. Since I used felt I can always remove the vent control later is I want/need to.

1. I removed the lower vent control from the ash pan body with a #2 philips screw driver (3 screws)

2. I used scissors and cut thin stips of the felt to the correct length required. (2 short pieces and 2 long pieces)

3. Clean the area around the vent opening on the ash pan body to make sure it sticks well.

3. Used the felt I cut in to strips, removed the backing to expose the adhesive and framed around the opening on the ash pan. (stick it on the ash pan around the opening) Trim as needed to get a good neat fit.

At this point I have an ash pan with felt stuck all the way around the opening where the vent control goes.

4. Place the vent control in place and attached it using a #2 philips screwdriver and the 3 screws I removed in step 1.

So now you have a layer of felt trapped between the vent control and the ash pan body forming a complete seal all the way around. Think valve cover gasket. Since I used felt I can always remove the vent control later is I want/need to.

I wound up doing the same thing - wasn't satisfied with the results with the RTV - except I adhered the felt to the vent control instead of the ash pan body and then re-attached.

OK great! thanks that's what i was thinking.