DW you will find grate temps above the diffuser with a Kamado will  be lower than the dome temp which is the opposite of a the WSM.   I now find it is not as important to monitor grate temps as I did when I cooked on a WSM.  

2 hours ago, K'man said:

DW you will find grate temps above the diffuser with a Kamado will  be lower than the dome temp which is the opposite of a the WSM.   I now find it is not as important to monitor grate temps as I did when I cooked on a WSM.  

Hmmm...but if the food is on the grate (no matter what cooker) it's  grate temps that matter, isn't it?

4 hours ago, fbov said:

I use the clips it came with mine.

wireless grill thermometer

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/digital-remote-bbq-thermometers/#/et-733-wireless-food-thermometer-set/

I also find that temperature varies around the grill depending on how it's set up (direct/indirect), how hot you're running it, and just where you put the probe. 

Have fun,

Frank

I have a similar set-up as Frank (732) and I totally agree with him about the variations on temperature depending on where you put your probe.  In fact food temp can also affect prob temp.  I cooked a 22 lb. turkey on my Keg and the proximity of that much cold mass(in the early stages of the cook) affected the probe reading.  Placing the probe in the hot zone(outer perimeter not diffused) will give you a higher reading than in the diffused area.  The point being you are better staying within a temp range and for that I rely on my dome thermometer as a guide in temp control.   Be aware that you will achieve cooking from the dome through convection more so than would occur using a WSM.  The difference being the thermal mass of ceramic or the insulation from a steel kamado.  Over time I've stopped using my BBQ probe now and sometimes use the meat probe.  I mostly use my Thermapen  to confirm meat temps.  

I've also found the actual burn for LNS being so much smaller will wonder off to one area of the kamado creating a hotter spot.  That's why I personally like a diffuser with greater thermal mass.  A few years back I bought a laser thermometer to help me better cook pizza.  I learned a lot from that little device.  I can also say that Kamados generally will burn a little hotter at the back near the hinge area at least my 3 do.

Edited by K'man

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, pathos said:

could I use this rtv gasket cement to repair a broken pizza stone?

I had a smoking stone split in half.  I just wrapped it twice in the heavy duty aluminum foil and used it that way.  Occasionally,  I have to change the foil, but it is cheaper than buying a new stone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Sean D
      Anyone have a problem after lightning for the first time where the seal is leaking on the lid? Smoke coming out the side. 
    • By Sean D
      Hi All, I got my AKORN yesterday.  I am just curious as to how long it takes to assemble.  I am pretty good at stuff like this usually.
    • By paulleve
      I've had my Akorn for almost three years now, and thought I'd give quick review as to how it's holding up.

First some details.  I picked up this Akorn for $250 at Walmart in March of '15.  (It still had a clearance price tag on it from the previous fall/winter.) In the last three years I have lit the grill 227 times.   If I had to describe an average cook, it would be at about 400F for around 1 hour. During the first year I kept close track of charcoal consumption, and I was averaging 20-23 burns per bag of Royal Oak lump. That is efficient!

I live in Massachusetts and keep my Akorn stored on a covered porch. I don't have a cover for the Akorn, but it rarely gets wet where it is located. I store it with all vents closed and keep whatever charcoal is left from the last burn sitting in the fire bowl.  The ash bin only gets emptied out after each complete bag of lump is burned.

Durability:  It seems like every review of the Akorn questions its durability. Here are some pics showing what mine looks like after two years and almost 230 burns:

The only damage I've had to worry about was caused by me.   Lesson learned:  never tilt the Akorn to remove winter slush from the bottom tray because it  just might get away from you and slam into the deck!  The result was two riv-nuts for the hinge pulled out from the body.  Luckily it was an easy fix with a cheap tool from Harbor Freight.  (I posted a step by step a while back for others who may need to replace the riv-nuts.)

The enamel in the ash pan is still shining after holding the remnants of 10-12 bags of lump!  There is just a hint of surface rust showing where the inner and outer shells are riveted together.

The fire bowl has most of its original enamel intact.  There is a little rippling toward the bottom where the fire burns hottest, and light rust is visible where the standoffs are welded to the bowl.

This is the interior of the Akorn with the fire bowl removed and ash pan installed.  That lighter colored ring is where Akorns tend to rust out.  So far no rust to be concerned about.

The fire grate has been warped sine I gave the Akorn its first really thorough cleaning two years ago.  It hasn't changed much since then, so I don't plan to replace it.

Water really is the enemy of this grill!  Mine is holding up great with no rusted parts or areas of concern.  I have two friends, however, who both have Akorns purchased about the same time as mine who are not so lucky.  In both cases, the grills spend much of their time exposed to the weather.  Even though covers are used, both are showing rust at the connection between ash pan and body of the Akorn.

• By Unclebub44
      This will be my first chuck roast cook on the Akorn. I’ve only cooked steaks and wings on the grill so far, so this will be a learning experience for sure. Any advice or tips are welcome. 
    • By Tjwell
      First cook with the Tip Top Temp on my Akorn Kamado. Smoked a pork loin to perfection this morning. Have a pork butt on now (less the apple wood chunks) In prior cooks on both a vertical smoker and on the kamado, temp would sour when the wood chunks for smoking would catch. Now with the Tip Top Temp, it closes the damper until the temporary spike subsides, then opens back up to maintain constant temp. Before the Tip Top Temp those adjustments were manual and much more tedious!