Found a store near the job that sells BGE's. Got some felt for the XL and will get to sealing the vent, ash pan, and lid today and tomorrow. Got some cooking to do this weekend!

At some point I may get the nomex gasket, but the Akorn at the moment is being used for low & slow or indirect stuff, so I'm not too worried about burning it out just yet.

Yes I am concerned too but since mine will be here this week, I will run to rest. equipment store and buy food grade thick grease for ice cream machines and deli slicers. Definatly food grade. Might not hold all the smoke but I wont have ANY worries right?

This isn't spen from 301?

??? :? :? :?

Don't worry man, it's a r/c racing thing. Small world, you know!

Anyway, I got the felt last night and sealed up the vent. My only concern is that the slide will have to bend slightly as there's now a piece of felt there where it originally sat flush on the outside of the ash pan. But, the parts that would be exposed to air have been sealed off, so it may not make that much difference. SInce I have enough gasket I may do the same with the dome and the underside of the ash pan too.

I've been good man. Sold the mugen a loong time ago. Got one of the akorn grills too! It cooks like a beast :) Made some cajun bleu burgers a couple days ago and gonna cook some country ribs tonight maybe. I ordered the gasket material to seal up the bottom vent as well but my grill is pretty tight as is.The therm leaks just a little smoke when it's sealed tight but I think it will end up sealing itself and there is a little leak somewhere around the left handle on the ash pan when shutting it down. Be careful about putting too much weight on the side shelves or leaning on them mine start to flex the grill if you put too much pressure on them. I think once I get the bottom vent completely sealed up it should hold temps without a budge.

**Edit** I just sealed up my bottom vent with the bge gasket and used high temp rtv around the vent as well. I should say that if you want to take the bottom vent off and calk underneath of it do it on a virgin grill. I couldn't get the screws loose so I just rtv'd around the vent. Also thought about adding gasket material to the lid and ash pan surfaces as well. But those gaskets are working properly right now. If they get worn than I might put some there.

Well, sealing up the vent, pan, and dome with the BGE gasket seems to have helped quite a bit. Holding at 250-270 was no problem, and much less chasing the tempos over the weekend. Simple enough mod, cheap enough too. Quite satisfied

I just sealed up my bottom vent with the bge gasket and used high temp rtv around the vent as well. I should say that if you want to take the bottom vent off and calk underneath of it do it on a virgin grill. I couldn't get the screws loose so I just rtv'd around the vent. Also thought about adding gasket material to the lid and ash pan surfaces as well. But those gaskets are working properly right now. If they get worn than I might put some there.

Sm1nts2escape

I had trouble getting mine off also. I hunted until I found a really new Phillips and for some reason it was easier to remove from the left side first. The side opposite the stop pin. I HATE Phillips style screws. Even expensive screw drivers will round just a little bit and jump out of the screws after they are used for awhile. I read some where that they were designed for machine assembly lines to prevent stripping the fastener holes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading all the posts to fix the air leaks on the Akorn, and it seems everyone is mostly using RTV. I found a product from Rutland - Hi Temp Stove & Gasket Cement. It is rated for up to 2000 degrees. Is this product okay to use, or should I just go with the RTV? Thanks in advance for your advice.

1/4" x 20 x 1/2" Bolts for Assembly.

Not sure if anyone has had issues with the quality of the 1/4 x 20 bolts supplied with their CharGriller Akorn but mine were very poor quality. I recommend you spend some money (about $3) on some quality 1/4 x 20 x 1/2" bolts from Lowes or Home Depot to assemble your CharGriller with. You will need about 30 bolts. I used bolts I had left over from another project and my Akorn is rock solid.

I went to my local BGE dealer who was selling his XL gaskets for $5!! Apparently they are phasing those out and stocking the higher temp (nomex?) BGE gaskets exclusively. I'm afraid I snagged the last one though. Anyways, I sealed everyting I could and it was so easy. Thanks for the tips and pics of this mod.

1st I want to thank everyone on this forum for their comments, questions & answers. Over the last week I have read every post at least twice.

Today I picked up my Akorn @ Lowes & put it together tonight. I bought 30 stainless steel bolts to use to put it together. Thank you tfeni52355 for the tip.

Tomorrow I will put the BGE felt on the top, ash tray & the bottom damper. Thank you be14_20 & CanAlkorn.

Now some questions for the forum:

What do you think of these ideas, one or all of these ideas in order to get more thermal mass in the Akorn?

a) Line the bottom of charcoal grate w/ ceramic briquettes. This will also help the smaller pieces of charcoal from falling past the grate & add thermal mass.

B) Layer the newly added Weber charcoal grate w/ several layers of the ceramic briquettes & put the pizza diffuser on top.

c) Layer the pizza pan diffuser w/ several layers of the ceramic briquettes.

60 pure ceramic briquettes with a weight of 10 lbs. 8 oz. can be had from Wally World for less than $7.00.

Interesting. I'm certainly no professor of thermodynamics but here goes:

As I understand it, the principle of thermal mass refers to smoothing out temp fluctuations over time. So obviously we're talking low and slow cooks here.

Not sure about a) my concern would be reduced airflow to the coals.

B) or c) probably wouldn't be necessary with the Smoking Stone, but if you use a thin metal pizza pan I could see it helping. On a practical note, there isn't that much clearance between the add-on Weber grate and the cooking grate. If you have a layer of ceramic briqs then your diffuser you may not have room for a drip pan, just thinking about post-cook cleanup here.

Hopefully someone smarter than I will chime in. But hey, at 7 bucks it's a cheap science experiment, right.