Am about to throw a butt on. I'm noticing leaks for the first time on the akorn (coming out of top dome in a couple spots.) 

I cooked all summer / fall with no issues. It's gotten cold here recently. Any insight? Leaks look to be near the rivets at 3 and 9 o clock. 

On 12/23/2016 at 0:54 AM, CrisCarolina said:

Am about to throw a butt on. I'm noticing leaks for the first time on the akorn (coming out of top dome in a couple spots.) 

I cooked all summer / fall with no issues. It's gotten cold here recently. Any insight? Leaks look to be near the rivets at 3 and 9 o clock. 

As long as your temps are holding pretty steady and you can shut down OK I would not worry about it. But try this, lightly go around your gasket pinching and rolling the gasket between your fingers. That will probably fix your problems.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just following up on the issue of leaks @ 3 and 9 o clock - I had a good month with no issues after tightening the hinge bolts where the top and bottom parts meet...

The weather here has been crazy (Western KY).  We've had no really cold temps, and the temps have been fluctuating between 40 and 70.  So, I noticed I was getting leaks again a couple days ago.  Sure enough, the bolts on the back hinge are a little loose.  Retightened, and everything seems better.  

Anyone else have this issue (bolts on the back hinge coming slightly loose due to weather?)

After some trial and error, I believe it is the gasket being slightly off - I'm learning to roll it back into place to prevent leaks before closing the dome. 

On another topic, I removed my top damper today and cleaned (it was getting stuck). Now, I've got black grease/creosote dripping down the back of the cooker, starting from the top damper. This is happening during higher temp cooks. Anyone have any thoughts on what the issue is? I have never experienced this issue. 

• 1 month later...
Still have mine in the box and not assembled. Is there any mods to be done with the newest model? I'm thinking just the gasket on the lid.:ugeek:

The lid gasket is one of the best on the market. Build quality has increased since they were first introduced. I'd put it together and take it for a test drive before performing any mods.

Just following up on the issue of leaks @ 3 and 9 o clock - I had a good month with no issues after tightening the hinge bolts where the top and bottom parts meet...

The weather here has been crazy (Western KY).  We've had no really cold temps, and the temps have been fluctuating between 40 and 70.  So, I noticed I was getting leaks again a couple days ago.  Sure enough, the bolts on the back hinge are a little loose.  Retightened, and everything seems better.  

Anyone else have this issue (bolts on the back hinge coming slightly loose due to weather?)

Owensboro here......you???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk