• 4 weeks later...

Alright guys and girls, I've been sitting here learning from the last 35 pages of Guru knowledge but still have an issue that I hope one of you intuitive types might be able to help me with. I picked up my King Griller the other day for $60 with the purpose of learning the kamado in mind. All in all it was a great deal but it does have some gnarly rust on the bottom of the outer shell and top of the ash pan. Is there a mod for rust of this scale? Is there something I can JB Weld or fabricate to insure a perfect seal? I've been firing it up every day with the purpose of learning temp control and am able to keep it in the 300 range for up to 6 hours now (thats just because I shut it down to go to bed) but I really want to get good at riding 225 - 250 for a good low and slow. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for looking.

20180715_183314.jpg

20180715_183306.jpg

• 1 month later...

My Akorn knockoff isn't even a little bit airtight.  I simply can't put the charcoal out once it's going.  I just ordered a replacement gasket for the bottom vent, but is there anything I can do about the top vent?  Even when closed, huge amounts of smoke comes out of it.  

On 9/3/2017 at 10:53 PM, gotzero said:

Not sure if anyone else has done this but I got some stainless mesh sheet and put it over the intakes (held in by damper screws) to prevent any sizable embers from goofing up our deck. 

Screen_Shot_2017-09-03_at_10_53.06_PM.png

That's a good idea, although during long cooks, I like to throw some smaller wood chunks in that hole every now and then.  That way I don't have to add them all at once and risk overshooting my temp and I also don't have to open to lid either to add them.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm thinking about cutting the legs on my Akorn in order to sit it on a table. I thought about taking them off completely & building the table with a hole in it to hold the Akorn, but due to the limited space for the table that won't work.

Any suggestions &/or advice on cutting the legs? 

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 4/25/2012 at 8:54 PM, BoBCue said:

I used RTV tonight and it is curing. Just one concern: Is anyone worried about the RTV contaminating anything? Some sort of residue burn off. Just wondering.

Found on Amazon: "Food Contact" 4500 RTV. $7 delivered. "Silicone RTV 4500 Food Contact Safe High Strength Silicone Sealant, Clear (2.8 FL. Ounce)"

On 6/19/2019 at 9:11 AM, bucs0721 said:

I'm thinking about cutting the legs on my Akorn in order to sit it on a table. I thought about taking them off completely & building the table with a hole in it to hold the Akorn, but due to the limited space for the table that won't work.

Any suggestions &/or advice on cutting the legs? 

Thanks!

I'd hang it from the shelf brackets.  Thinking about doing the same thing using an old Weber Performer table.