John421

If you watch John's video series--- he puts a piece of expanded metal in the coal grate area. This prevents the marble sized coals from falling through. In addition some people have made a coal basket for the coal grate.

My main concern for A would be getting air flow through the coals. I leave the center open so I can see an air path to the ash trap. This air path was first suggested by Philipon. When I stated using it --the flavor of my food became smoky but not over powering. There was something about the coals burning with out free air flow that did not work for me.

My experience with the ceramic briquettes was with cheap gas grills. They vaporized a lot of the drippings and made the food taste better and seemed to limit the flare ups somewhat. The ceramic tiles worked even better. That was the best mod I ever did for those kind of grills. Some people create a shelf on their Weber gas grills and put the ceramic briquettes above the "flavorizer bars".

I use the smoking stone and water in my drip pan.

Hey for $7 go for it and let us know how your experiment turns out.

I have been reading all the posts to fix the air leaks on the Akorn, and it seems everyone is mostly using RTV. I found a product from Rutland - Hi Temp Stove & Gasket Cement. It is rated for up to 2000 degrees. Is this product okay to use, or should I just go with the RTV? Thanks in advance for your advice.

It could work. The thing is that some of the areas that you are sealing like the ash trap shell around the outside are a very small and thin areas and what ever is used will need to be able to expand and contract or it will crack and let air in.

I was very resistant to using the silicone initially. It has worked well so far. If you use the silicone get the red or the copper one from an auto parts store. The copper one is rated the highest. Also if you have used the grill--- using a de-greaser would be a good idea. I have used the one from Home Depot and also OIL Eater with great success.

Probably disassembling the ash trap and sealing it from the inside would be the ultimate solution. I can not find the thread but Philipom posted it. In that case de-greasing would be a really good idea.

I like the thinking, keep it coming. Here are my thoughts....

Except for the layer over the coal grate I think it would add thermal mass. How about a $10 ceramic pizza stone on the metal pizza pan? A water pan alone will add thermal mass also. I have been wondering if the brinkman bullet replacement water pan would hang in there where the stone sets but for some odd reason can't find one at a store to try.

$12 for the grate

$7 for the ceramic briquetts

$2 for the pizza pan (and $2 more it rusts out)

$21 and no room for water pan. The solution would help with thermal mass but you now have a compromise and you are over half way to the smoke'n stone. (that you might purchse down the road anyways). If you spend the extra $20 on the stone you wouldn't regret it IMHO.

$21 and no room for water pan. The solution would help with thermal mass but you now have a compromise and you are over half way to the smoke'n stone. (that you might purchse down the road anyways). If you spend the extra $20 on the stone you wouldn't regret it IMHO.

Plus it's a pita to remove when you don't want to use it. I'd go with smoking stone also or, if you're not big on using drippings, water in your drip pan is the cheap alternative.

Plus it's a pita to remove when you don't want to use it. I'd go with smoking stone also or, if you're not big on using drippings, water in your drip pan is the cheap alternative.

BluesDaddy I had not even thought how often I pull that stuff out. PITA would be right!

Just a quick gasket mod i made. Unfortunately i don't have a camera but ill just tell you guys what i did. I did all the siliconing on the ash pan which really helped. Went a little heavy on the silicon to ensure it lasts. On the top of the Kamado I got one of these wood stove gasket kits (http://www.rutland.com/productinfo/stov ... -kits.html) and glued it on the main body on the grill as well as leaving the original gasket in place on the lid. That thing is sealed super tight now. Lets just say these small mods made this cooker much better and much easier to control the temps. Not super pretty but very functional.

Here are a few pics of the wood basket I built for my AKORN.

I used expanded steel attached to the bottom grate using short lengths of steel wire.

First, using tin snips I cut a circular piece of steel mesh and attached it to the grate like this - wrapping the steel wire and twisting it like a bread bag tie using pliers. Tuck the ends underneath.

imag0321g.jpg

Then I snipped out a piece a little longer than the circumference of the grate and attached it with wire the same way, about every 3 or 4 inches.

imag0323f.jpg

Once the basket is completely wrapped and attached, tie the top together with more wire. The finished basket:

imag0324u.jpg

Once coals are extinguished, you can easily pull the whole basket out, shake the ashes off your lump and replace it.

imag0327rz.jpg

I am taking Father's Day off from cooking but, decided it would be a good time to mod my Acorn. I have been reading the post and trying to decide which of the mods I like the best. I settled on using the BGE felt gasket. I cleaned ALL of the surfaces and applied the felt. Can't wait to try it...but it needs to set 24 hours before it is used. Below are the pictures of installing the felt:

This is what I bought at the local BGE store. It is cheap and if it works as well as everyone says it will be money well spent:

ry%3D400

I did the top of the base first:

ry%3D400

Next I did the air vent on the ash tray:

ry%3D400

Here is a close up before I put the vent cover back on. I had to reinstall the cover starting with the screw on the left, then the center one and finally the slide stop on the right. Just started them then I went back and tighten them up.

ry%3D400

I did the ash tray:

ry%3D400

Here is a close up of both completed:

ry%3D400

This is what was left over:

ry%3D400

Thinking about what I am going to cook next....maybe a vertical turkey...any suggestions on how it might be done it in the Acorn?

I am thinking about using the smoking stone ---a drip pan on top with water and a vertical turkey stand. I already have the stand, smoking stone, and drip pan. I am not sure about what temp to use though---350---365?

I was thinking about smoking at a lower temp 225 - 250 for a few hours and when it reached 140 I would crank it up to 400 to help crisp up the skin and finish it off to about 170. I am going to do a turkey breast first since we really don't like dark meat. I was also going to use a can of beer...like the beer can chicken. The stand I have will hold a Fosters can. I was going to place everything on the lower grate and use both a stone on a pizza pan as a diffuser. The stand will sit in an aluminum pan to catch all of the drippings.

I do not plan to brine the turkey breast....what type of rub should I use?

Thanks everyone for all this info! I got my Akorn last week and was able to mod it based on all your suggestions using BGE gasket to seal up some "potential" leak areas. I am a total "noob" when it comes to BBQ and I had my friends and family fooled! I smoked a 8lb boston butt for 16 hrs, locked in at 221 for the majority of the cook. Beginners luck??? I did have a bit of a problem getting it dialed in for the first couple of hrs but finally everything fell into place. I also smoked some baby back ribs. They looked great, but a little dried out for my taste. Anyway, I found this forum to be incredibly helpful. I look forward to learning more and sharing results with y'all.

So I've been cooking with my Akorn for the past few weeks and decided to call a few neighbors over to show off the new "machine" and thats when it happened.. the freaking BGE gasket melted! :shock: The smell of melting plastic overwhelmed my bacon burgers and baked potatoes and now i have to clean this thing up and find a new fix for leaking. I'm assuming RTV would be the next best thing.. any other suggestions?

So I've been cooking with my Akorn for the past few weeks and decided to call a few neighbors over to show off the new "machine" and thats when it happened.. the freaking BGE gasket melted! :shock: The smell of melting plastic overwhelmed my bacon burgers and baked potatoes and now i have to clean this thing up and find a new fix for leaking. I'm assuming RTV would be the next best thing.. any other suggestions?

Nomex gasket is what the BGE people who do high heat end up going to.

It is quite well documented that the BGE gasket does not hold up to high heat. BGE gasket should be fine for sealing behind the ash trap vent. Things may get too hot at the ash trap if there is a grease fire. Ditto for the cooking level if you are grilling. There is a rumor that BGE is going to Nomex for its new units.

http://www.amazon.com/Nomex-Gasket-Adhe ... +green+egg

Nomex gasket is what the BGE people who do high heat end up going to.

It is quite well documented that the BGE gasket does not hold up to high heat. BGE gasket should be fine for sealing behind the ash trap vent. Things may get too hot at the ash trap if there is a grease fire. Ditto for the cooking level if you are grilling. There is a rumor that BGE is going to Nomex for its new units.

http://www.amazon.com/Nomex-Gasket-Adhe ... +green+egg

Thanks Marty. I think my mistake was over filling the firebox. The temps didnt exceed 400 per the unit display, but who knows what the actual temps were. I ended up with a small fire in the ash pan and it was over from there. I think before my next cook, I'll remove some lump and go from there. Thanks for the link!