Whatcha going to do when the Volcano closes on you?

You are going to spring into action.

First off thank you Marty, philpom & Blues Daddy for the advice.

I set up my charcoal basket via the moflicky method with one modification. I added a "Porch Swing Spring" in the center of the basket & the arms are threaded through the mesh & the grate. The spring via Lowe's is 1 9/16" X 7 1/4". The spring OD is the same as the ID of a toilet paper roll & 1 1/2" longer. Now you have a way to lift out the charcoal basket & you will always have the center open to air flow.

post-707-137565073645_thumb.jpg

post-707-1375650736567_thumb.jpg

So I've been cooking with my Akorn for the past few weeks and decided to call a few neighbors over to show off the new "machine" and thats when it happened.. the freaking BGE gasket melted! :shock: The smell of melting plastic overwhelmed my bacon burgers and baked potatoes and now i have to clean this thing up and find a new fix for leaking. I'm assuming RTV would be the next best thing.. any other suggestions?

I put the BGE gasket on my Akorn and it looks like the place where the Akron gasket on the top lid touches the bottom base has been burned, but on the side closest to the outside of the Akorn seems just fine. Is this how its supposed to look? Is it a burned gasket that needs to be replaced? Again, the only part that appears burned is where the top gasket (whatever you call that thing) touces the BGE replacement gasket on the bottom.

Now you have a way to lift out the charcoal basket & you will always have the center open to air flow.

Ingenious! you also have a spot to drop your ignition source. let us know how it works.

So I've been cooking with my Akorn for the past few weeks and decided to call a few neighbors over to show off the new "machine" and thats when it happened.. the freaking BGE gasket melted! :shock: The smell of melting plastic overwhelmed my bacon burgers and baked potatoes and now i have to clean this thing up and find a new fix for leaking. I'm assuming RTV would be the next best thing.. any other suggestions?

I put the BGE gasket on my Akorn and it looks like the place where the Akron gasket on the top lid touches the bottom base has been burned, but on the side closest to the outside of the Akorn seems just fine. Is this how its supposed to look? Is it a burned gasket that needs to be replaced? Again, the only part that appears burned is where the top gasket (whatever you call that thing) touces the BGE replacement gasket on the bottom.

Yeah thats how mine looked after about 3 cooks.. I've read that the adhesive melts easily and when you see what you're seeing, the adhesive is starting to seep through the wool. I'd be cautious that your gasket will burn soon.

"have a spot to drop your ignition source. let us know how it works"

I'm thinking for a bottom charcoal lighting you can thread some of the stretched cotton ball soaked in 182 proof isopropyl alcohol into the center of the spring & have the remainder set in the charcoal.

For a fast & hot fire use 2 -3 cotton balls set radially out from the center. In order to light them take another alcohol cotton ball light it & shove it down the spring with a rod/screw driver.

Now that I have to season the spring & the mesh I'll do a trial burn this weekend & report back with the results.

Hi guy's, ran across this thread while doing a search for this cooker and thought I'd join up. My wife bought me one for fathers day, it was a great thought. But the first mistake she made was buying it pre-assembled, whoever did it probably shouldn't even be sacking groceries much less assembling anything. I basically had to redo the whole thing, had to buy a bunch of bolts since most of them were missing. Anyway, I used it for the first time today. I smoked 2 chickens redneck (beer can) style and they turned out delicious. I've been cooking for many years on an old barrel type smoker. This type of cooker seems to be hands down the best way to smoke or cook something slow.

I've read through this entire thread and looked at all the mods. I also sealed mine completely up while cooking on it today. It looks like the only leak I have is around the bottom damper on the ash pan. I believe I want to go with the nomex gasket fix since I want to be able to get it hot for cooking steaks and stuff like that. Has anyone experienced problems with the factory gasket failing under higher temps? I'm going to order the smokin stone and meat rack for it. But instead of using the rectangular drip pan, I think I'm going to try and find a round one about the same diameter as the stone. I'm also going to stop by a welding shop tomorrow and see if I can get a piece of expansion metal to put over the charcoal grate to keep smaller pieces of coals from dropping down below. I think if the factory gasket isn't prone to failing under higher heat. I'll just do the bottom damper and maybe the top part of the lid just for some extra coverage. Here's another idea as far as gaskets go. What about using the same type of gasket material they use for oven doors? I would love to have some feedback on some of these ideas.

Yeah thats how mine looked after about 3 cooks.. I've read that the adhesive melts easily and when you see what you're seeing, the adhesive is starting to seep through the wool. I'd be cautious that your gasket will burn soon.

And burn it did! I was able to remove it very easily and cleaned glue residue with grill and surface cleaner. The gasket seems to be holding up better on the ash tray and the bottom vent. I'll probably wait for a few more cooks and see how it performs before I get the Nomax, hi temp gasket.

Does anyone know what type of gasket comes stock on the CGA?? Also, any bad reports from using RTV?

Hi guy's, ran across this thread while doing a search for this cooker and thought I'd join up. My wife bought me one for fathers day, it was a great thought. But the first mistake she made was buying it pre-assembled, whoever did it probably shouldn't even be sacking groceries much less assembling anything. I basically had to redo the whole thing, had to buy a bunch of bolts since most of them were missing. Anyway, I used it for the first time today. I smoked 2 chickens redneck (beer can) style and they turned out delicious. I've been cooking for many years on an old barrel type smoker. This type of cooker seems to be hands down the best way to smoke or cook something slow.

I've read through this entire thread and looked at all the mods. I also sealed mine completely up while cooking on it today. It looks like the only leak I have is around the bottom damper on the ash pan. I believe I want to go with the nomex gasket fix since I want to be able to get it hot for cooking steaks and stuff like that. Has anyone experienced problems with the factory gasket failing under higher temps? I'm going to order the smokin stone and meat rack for it. But instead of using the rectangular drip pan, I think I'm going to try and find a round one about the same diameter as the stone. I'm also going to stop by a welding shop tomorrow and see if I can get a piece of expansion metal to put over the charcoal grate to keep smaller pieces of coals from dropping down below. I think if the factory gasket isn't prone to failing under higher heat. I'll just do the bottom damper and maybe the top part of the lid just for some extra coverage. Here's another idea as far as gaskets go. What about using the same type of gasket material they use for oven doors? I would love to have some feedback on some of these ideas.

In response to your question regarding hi temp oven gaskets I contacted a company called Davlin who manufactures gaskets made for those applications (2000° handling easy) and they would have their engineers design a product that would work for our kamados but would cost hundreds of dollars because Its only available In a large spool. Now I would go ahead and do it myself if I had people going in on the purchase with me but I think even between 10 people it would still cost close to 50 bucks a person. Granted it would be a permanent solution.

The gasket that comes on the Akorn looks like that gasket that I have seen on a oven. The metal clips on the back that push into slots is also how some gaskets are attached to ovens.

i think the stock gasket is pretty heat resistant. My ash trap gasket that was in a grease fire was not melted---it was just crusted in carbon.

In response to your question regarding hi temp oven gaskets I contacted a company called Davlin who manufactures gaskets made for those applications (2000° handling easy) and they would have their engineers design a product that would work for our kamados but would cost hundreds of dollars because Its only available In a large spool. Now I would go ahead and do it myself if I had people going in on the purchase with me but I think even between 10 people it would still cost close to 50 bucks a person. Granted it would be a permanent solution.

Thanks for that, I actually wound up buying some bulk oven door gasket material for 13 bucks from an appliance company that I do a lot of business with buying HVAC equipment. I also bought a tube of copper high temp. RTV to fasten it with. I think it'll be good to go when I get done with it, I'll post back after I get it done and cook with it.

Hey guys, great forum! Picked up a CG Akorn at Lowes a couple weeks ago after researching BGE alternatives and finding JMSetzer's videos on this grill. I got the last one in town! I am having fun playing with this thing so far, definatley a step up from my little Weber Q 200 I have been using for years.

Here is my fix for the latches. Like others have said, the latches on mine didn't close up very tight and the gaskets leaked, so I bent the wire on the latches a little to shorten them up. Now the latches actually snap closed like they should.

Before and after

IMG0195-S.jpg

IMG0196-S.jpg

Bent them with a couple crescent wrenches like this

IMG0197-S.jpg

Ash pan latches

IMG0198-S.jpg

Lid latch

IMG0199-S.jpg

Nice first post!

So today I bought this fiberglass rope stove gasket kit from Ace hardware to use for sealing the rim around my ash pan. After doing it, I don't think I would use it for the lid lip as it is not the safest to have around food. If fiberglass fibers somehow fell into the food that's cooking that could get someone sick. Anyways, it came out looking only ok. The ends were kind of frayed, so I used RTV to coat them and seal the pieces together. It looks a little hack-job but it should function well and it's super heat resistant (2000 degrees).

If fiberglass fibers somehow fell into the food that's cooking that could get someone sick. Anyways, it came out looking only ok. T

After a few long low and slow cooks (nothing hot yet) the Nomex gasket is fine. It's semi-reasonably priced ($30) and so far works like a champ. tightens the lid seal and, well, it's nomex. We'll see how it does after a few hot cooks and a little bit of grease penetration.