Here's one for you fellas. Wife and I made a big mistake in getting away for a few days, left my Akorn and my dogs home with our idiot 17 y.o. son. Guess what? He and his idiot buddies tried to move it with the rear wheel locked. Of course it fell on it's face and is now no longer a smoker, big ole gap between the lid and the body, not even close to sealing any more. I guess I can keep it as a high heat open cooker, but I fear it's dead for low and slow. I'm not the handiest guy in the world, probably not the worst either, but does anyone think that it'd be possible to try and bang it back into some semblance of shape? Maybe with some kind of shaped block of wood and a rubber mallet? Thanks, Luther...

Here's one for you fellas. Wife and I made a big mistake in getting away for a few days, left my Akorn and my dogs home with our idiot 17 y.o. son. Guess what? He and his idiot buddies tried to move it with the rear wheel locked. Of course it fell on it's face and is now no longer a smoker, big ole gap between the lid and the body, not even close to sealing any more. I guess I can keep it as a high heat open cooker, but I fear it's dead for low and slow. I'm not the handiest guy in the world, probably not the worst either, but does anyone think that it'd be possible to try and bang it back into some semblance of shape? Maybe with some kind of shaped block of wood and a rubber mallet? Thanks, Luther...

Post some pics of it please.

If the only thing it bent was the hinge, it should be able to be fixed.

I dont see why not, it's steel which is pretty soft and easy to work with. I'd get it nice and hot first and work it slowly.

I used RTV tonight and it is curing. Just one concern: Is anyone worried about the RTV contaminating anything? Some sort of residue burn off. Just wondering.

Yes, it does! Permatex, the manufacturer, provides MSDS sheets on all the RTV products. The issue I have with using any of the RTV products is this warning which appears on all the RTV automotive gasket products:

"When heated to temperatures above 300 degrees F. in the presence of air, this product can form

formaldehyde vapors. Formaldehyde is a potential cancer hazard and a known skin and respiratory

sensitizer."

I used RTV tonight and it is curing. Just one concern: Is anyone worried about the RTV contaminating anything? Some sort of residue burn off. Just wondering.

Yes, it does! Permatex, the manufacturer, provides MSDS sheets on all the RTV products. The issue I have with using any of the RTV products is this warning which appears on all the RTV automotive gasket products:

"When heated to temperatures above 300 degrees F. in the presence of air, this product can form

formaldehyde vapors. Formaldehyde is a potential cancer hazard and a known skin and respiratory

sensitizer."

I only have used it on the ash pan vent, which I dont think reaches 300 on the outside, if it does my fingers must be made of steel.

sensitizer."

I only have used it on the ash pan vent, which I dont think reaches 300 on the outside, if it does my fingers must be made of steel.

In the tiny amounts of RTV used and it mostly being on the outside I doubt that it will have any effect. In high school we used to dissect various things like a fetal pig and we had fromaldehide all over our fingers. People regularly reached into a container bare handed to get them out. The formaldehyde did have a smell but no one ever got sick.

Even if formaldehyde were produced it would be in minute amounts. I certainly have never smelled it when grilling. Probably the charcoal lighter fluid on bad charcoal grilling is far more toxic because it is much more concentrated. Sadly all those bad charcoal grillers live to torture on another day.

Read the word POTENTIAL cancer hazzard then known SENSITIZER to skin and respiratory. These look like anti law suit boiler plate as much as a real warning. Have you read the saftey list in the front of the manuals today? Do not immerse this electrical device in water because a shock hazard exits.---DUH.

Having said that I definitely would not BBQ a fetal pig soaked in formaldehyde.

In the tiny amounts of RTV used and it mostly being on the outside I doubt that it will have any effect. In high school we used to dissect various things like a fetal pig and we had fromaldehide all over our fingers. People regularly reached into a container bare handed to get them out. The formaldehyde did have a smell but no one ever got sick.

Even if formaldehyde were produced it would be in minute amounts. I certainly have never smelled it when grilling. Probably the charcoal lighter fluid on bad charcoal grilling is far more toxic because it is much more concentrated. Sadly all those bad charcoal grillers live to torture on another day.

Read the word POTENTIAL cancer hazzard then known SENSITIZER to skin and respiratory. These look like anti law suit boiler plate as much as a real warning. Have you read the saftey list in the front of the manuals today? Do not immerse this electrical device in water because a shock hazard exits.---DUH.

Having said that I definitely would not BBQ a fetal pig soaked in formaldehyde.

Haha, no pulled formaldehyde pork fetus tonight?

Yeah its probably only there becausr if not some idiot would try sniffing it to get high and get cancer and try to sue the company. Like sleeping pills with the warning it may cause drowsiness.

Heck, a single cigarette probably contains more formaldehyde than a dozen tubes of RTV, and people ingest packs daily and still take 40 years to get cancer.

I dropped mine also, I was moving it do another spot on the patio, and then the hinge let out and gravity took over. The top of the body was dented in pretty well.. A quick fix for this was to drop the lid also.. this actually helped, only problem was the sides were still uneven, I used a hammer to to the best I could to fix it, but I was still getting a lot of airflow in during smoking. I got a replacement top gasket from char griller, then I ran nomex gasket on the bottom, now it seals perfectly. Good luck with fixing yours.

Guys

Have a question for, and then going to post one awesome (IMHO) mod post.

So with the added gasket, ets say you place one around the ask pan, and then around the lid. If you guys dial your top vent to zero, so closed (to the best of its ability), do you get small smoke leaks from around the ash and lid? Even after sealing with my slight modification and I'm getting one tight a$$ seal, I get slight smoke from the lid seam where the Nomex meets the factory over seal, and the ask pan...

Do we, or shouldn't we be replacing the lid gasket with the bge Nomex in addition to adding the bottom Nomex seal? Yes you need two rolls which equals $20~ more dollars, but is this not what is needed

Someone help me out

Or is this just normal, and I'm trying to seal this up tighter than...well I have no good analogies handy, sorry...

If no matter what, you will still see some smoke (if you close the top vent) from the lid seam and ash, thats fine..I only see this when I close the top, and that's the only time..so I throw on my applewood, close the top just to see what I see, and see the faint smoke vapor here

Thoughts

Thanks gang

Guys

Have a question for, and then going to post one awesome (IMHO) mod post.

So with the added gasket, ets say you place one around the ask pan, and then around the lid. If you guys dial your top vent to zero, so closed (to the best of its ability), do you get small smoke leaks from around the ash and lid? Even after sealing with my slight modification and I'm getting one tight a$$ seal, I get slight smoke from the lid seam where the Nomex meets the factory over seal, and the ask pan...

Do we, or shouldn't we be replacing the lid gasket with the bge Nomex in addition to adding the bottom Nomex seal? Yes you need two rolls which equals $20~ more dollars, but is this not what is needed

Someone help me out

Or is this just normal, and I'm trying to seal this up tighter than...well I have no good analogies handy, sorry...

If no matter what, you will still see some smoke (if you close the top vent) from the lid seam and ash, thats fine..I only see this when I close the top, and that's the only time..so I throw on my applewood, close the top just to see what I see, and see the faint smoke vapor here

Thoughts

Thanks gang

It may be too much to expect no leaks at all when you shut it up with it smoking.

The main thing is can you control the temp ? Those kind of leaks may be so minor that they have an imperceptible effect on temp control.