John Setzler

Man Cave Signature Pork Rub

john, have you ever put this on beef???  I am looking for something not so Montreal style for beef lately

In my opinion, beef is actually a lot easier to season than pork.  I just haven't spent much time working on my signature beef rub lately.  I'll give you a few tips if you want to start working on one though...

Keep it basic.  Make up a 50/50 mixture of sea salt and cracked black pepper.  Add some paprika, garlic powder and onion powder to your own taste.  There are a couple ingredients I'm working with on top of these to try to get mine where I want it and just haven't found the right combination yet.

I just haven't spent much time working on my signature beef rub lately.

So is this a new beef rub, a sort of take 2? I've been meaning to try the beef rub you included in one of your older videos, the same one used on your excellent looking sirloin tip roast cook. Should I change that rub in any way based on your more recent experience?

I made this rub a couple of months ago but didn't use it until last week. This rub is probably the only one I will use from now on. Even my gourmet chef son in law asked for the recipe. I made a pork butt and even sprinkled some on the pulled pork. Delicious and I highly recommend it.

I will try there. Speaking of sugar. What do you do with brown sugar and turbinado sugar? I have started leaving brown sugar I. The fridge because it hardens to much.

Is there a secret to keeping it soft

The easiest thing to do is just put it in a resealable bag(i.e. Ziploc bag).  I've had my brown sugar for a year and its still soft.

I will try there. Speaking of sugar. What do you do with brown sugar and turbinado sugar? I have started leaving brown sugar I. The fridge because it hardens to much.

The easiest thing to do is just put it in a resealable bag(i.e. Ziploc bag). I've had my brown sugar for a year and its still soft.

It's a bizarre thing I've had it turn rock hard very quickly and sometimes it stays soft for months. I've gotten in the habit of dividing up a bigger bag and vac sealing smaller packages.

The easiest thing to do is just put it in a resealable bag(i.e. Ziploc bag). I've had my brown sugar for a year and its still soft.
It's a bizarre thing I've had it turn rock hard very quickly and sometimes it stays soft for months. I've gotten in the habit of dividing up a bigger bag and vac sealing smaller packages.

The beginning of that sounds bad ha ha!

Hi.  I have to say this is not the same Man Cave rub that John Setzler makes on Youtube.  The proportions seem widely off compared to the Youtube John Setzler video-- which makes an absolutely delicious and addictive rub.  

Here is the Youtube video recipe

Salt-- 1 cup

Turbinado sugar-- 1/2 cup

Black pepper-- 1/2 cup

Paprika-- 1/2 cup

Tang (the SECRET INGREDIENT)-- 1/2 cup

Chili Power-- 1/4 cup

Onion Powder-- 1/4 cup

Granulated garlic-- 1/4 cup

Cayanne pepper-- 2 tablespoons

Cocao-- 2 tablespoons

Cinnamon-- 2 teaspoons

FRESHLY GROUND CLOVE-- 2 tsps.

This should produce exactly one mason-jar of the rub, which should last a while.  To me, this is like BBQ crack.  I coat the pork shoulder with it and sprinkle more on once I pull it apart.