John Setzler

Man Cave Thin Crust Pizza Dough

MCMCrust.jpg

After a good bit of tweaking, I think I have my own Man Cave certified thin crust pizza dough ready for prime time. I made the pizza in the photo this afternoon and it was fantastic.

Ingredients:

1 cup lukewarm water

1/2 tsp Molasses

1 packet instant dry yeast

3 cups flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)

1/8 tsp garlic powder

1/8 tsp onion powder

In your mixer bowl, combine the water and molasses and dissolve the molasses. Pour in the yeast and let it rehydrate for 15 minutes or so. You should see a foam on top of the water. In another mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Dump the dry ingredients into your mixer bown and knead with the dough hook for 5 to 7 minutes until you have a nice dough ball and nothing is sticking to the sides of the bowl. Move your dough ball into an oiled mixing bowl, coating the dough ball with oil on all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 60 to 90 minutes or until at least doubled in size.

Divide the dough ball in half (enough to make two pizzas). Wrap or vacuum seal the leftover dough and freeze it if you like...

Good stuff!

Will that work in a bread machine

It should. It's within the ingredients maximums of most bread machines since it only has 3 cups of flour. You should be able to run this on a dough cycle and get the same results.

Used this recipe to make dough for my first grill-fired pizza last night. First one stuck to the peel as I was sliding it onto the stone, so it looks a mess but tasted GREAT. Threw on a bunch more cornmeal for the second, so it went on fine. Meat:

7AD37ED7-1B88-426F-8DBF-6FA10ACFD3D7_zps

Veggie:

4BD9E29D-A496-4753-A44E-AB05D8753BDB_zps

Thanks John, the only thing better than pizza on the kamado is one from an authentic wood fired oven; and some would even debate that.  eflyguy, the shape is not so important, it's all about the flavor and the love you put into it.

Thanks for this recipe John, I just used it last night and the pizza turned out wonderful. Wife thought it was the best pizza crust yet. I did use a bread machine for it and it worked well.

Question for how exactly u made to dough.  Did you just add all the ingredients to the bread machine and run dough cycle or did you rehydrate the yeast first and then put it all in the bread maker.

Thanks for this recipe John, I just used it last night and the pizza turned out wonderful. Wife thought it was the best pizza crust yet. I did use a bread machine for it and it worked well.

Question for how exactly u made to dough. Did you just add all the ingredients to the bread machine and run dough cycle or did you rehydrate the yeast first and then put it all in the bread maker.

This would depend on your yeast - with traditional active dry yeast, you would need to rehydrate the yeast. With quick rise / instant yeast, everyone is in the pool at the same time. I've done both ways with the same result, using the breadmaker as the mixer.