New owner, what are the must-have accessories / tips?

Zukatah

Good evening!

As I said in the introduction section, I'm new to ceramic grills with my wife who has bought me a Vision Classic from Costco (I might have talked about it and did a couple of detours to show her exactly what I wanted before my birthday... but that's a different story!). The excruciating part is that I'm based of out Moncton, NB up until December before I come back home permanently (located around Ottawa). So, I got this nice looking vessel along with my Weber Genesis LPG sitting on my deck while I'm cooking on a stovetop here. Anyways, I come back home every 2nd weekend or so and I want to make the most out of my next few visits. I'm trying to get a list of must-have or, very nice to have accessories for my Vision grill. In the meantime, it's just pure torture to constantly think about something I can't use for another couple of weeks.

So far, here's what my list looks like.

KJ heat deflector

Thermapen (still not sure about the backlit vs non-backlit debate as I like to cook at night but I wonder about battery life)

Thermoworks Pro BBQ Kit (TW8060 with a bunch of probes, as seen on Amazing Ribs)

Weber chimney (honestly, I'm attracted to this but I like the cool factor of using a MAPP torch. I see a lot of people here tend to use cotton balls soaked in alcohol, what do you recommend?)

Mop

Injector (not sure if it's worth it or not, I'd like your input)

I already have:

Great cooking gloves

Good pizza stone

Can you think of anything else you'd recommend for the backyard BBQ enthusiast? Anything I should buy instead of what I put there?

I'd go for the Maverick ET-732 remote thermometer. Got one for Father's day and love it. They have them on amazon.ca for a good price. BBQ places in Ottawa seem to want over $100 for them, but on amazon they are about $65.

I'd go for the Maverick ET-732 remote thermometer. Got one for Father's day and love it. They have them on amazon.ca for a good price. BBQ places in Ottawa seem to want over $100 for them, but on amazon they are about $65.

I'm torn between that one and the Thermoworks I've quoted. I think I'll order online anyways as the markup in store is quite prohibitive on such an item. Part of me would love to save $150 on that but my wife told me I could get it for xmas...

Any issues with your ET-732? I've read about the probes that really need to be pushed hard in it and that you must be careful as you're washing it but that's basically it.

I have a maverick 732 and it has yet to fail on me.. I dropped both probes/ actual unit on floor multiple times and still works well..

I just wash with water and soap and dont really handle with care and still works like a champ..

Ive had the signal drop on me once not sure why but its easy to reconnect.

I love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Ive had no issues with my et732 either. I also wash the probes with soap and water with no issues for a year now. Ive even had it sit under a scorching sun for the fourth of July. As for Thermapen, there is an open box sale now for 74 bucks but if you do night cooks a lot I would recommend the backlit one. I will pick up a backlit one up as well because I do a lot of night cooking and have to reposition my t-pen to a light all the time to read the temps.

Any issues with your ET-732? I've read about the probes that really need to be pushed hard in it and that you must be careful as you're washing it but that's basically it.

I've only used it on half a dozen cooks to this point, but so far so good.

You mentioned both "ThermoWorks Pro BBQ Kit Kit" & "Thermapen".

Be aware that the ThermoWorks Pro BBQ Kit Kit includes a quick-read thermometer similar to a Thermapen. It's the little white doodad. Also of note: while the TW8060 is likely higher quality than the Maverick ET-732, it's not wireless like the Maverick unit is. Personally I'd rather have my "food-is-done" alarm to sound-off in my house/pocket than outdoors.

If you Q at night, I think the back-lit Thermapen would be worth it. I wish mine was back-lit :(

I don't think the mop and injector are essential to start with.

There's only one other must-have that you're missing: lump charcoal! Try Basque's Nature's Own from Costco (on my second large bag--it's great). I suggest steering clear of Royal Oak in the blue bag. Royal Oak sells their scrap wood to Canadians and makes no claims to be 100% natural like the product they sell in America. Another popular one, Nature's Grilling, has no scrap but the pieces are small.

After a while you may want to try tossing in some wood chips for grilling and chunks for smoking; I've found both at Walmart.

I bought the weber chimney right away. I've yet to use it! I use cotton balls soaked in alcohol (Everclear).

I also bought the 732 right away. Had some issues with the BBQ probe and the transmitter. I sent them to Maverick. They sent me a new transmitter and BOTH new probes in 6' lengths. Their service was top notch. I sent them my stuff out via UPS on a Saturday, I had the new parts by Friday. It's been working flawlessly ever since.

I am told that http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-17339/dp/B008PU3OJ6/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_3_RHNQ is actually a Maverick 732 but cheaper. I hope its true as I ordered one :roll:

Yes, it appears that only the colour is different! Good price. Too bad the seller, "We've Gotta Deal 4 U", doesn't ship to Canada.

A couple of things I did not see:

GrillGrates - Just a great accessory, nothing more to say.

Laser Thermometer - I use mine for checking the surface temperature of my pizza stone. It is also good for checking the outer temp of the ceramic before I put the cover back on

Rather than a cottom mop which is hard to clean clean and sanitized, go with a silicon brush or mop instead.

A chimney starter just isn't needed, neither is the torch lighter. I'm learning that I get better temp control with the alcohol soaked cotton ball. If money is not a concern you might want to add a Automatic Temp Controller to your list. Finally I'd keep the injector on your list.

While I would agree its not a necessity, I wouldn't trade my torch for anything, and its probably my most go to piece of equipment. No issues for me getting a consistent 225-250 low and slow, or a 600 degree sear. IMO, a must have item....