New owner, what are the must-have accessories / tips?

Zukatah

What are people using for diffusers on their Classic B's? I was looking at this http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-spider-1/ that Waldo mentioned for a support bracket but he didn't mention the diffuser. Looking at the vision stone it appears almost too small and would cause burnt ends on ribs etc. I am coming from an Akorn to a Vision from Costco.

Rather than a cottom mop which is hard to clean clean and sanitized, go with a silicon brush or mop instead.

A chimney starter just isn't needed, neither is the torch lighter. I'm learning that I get better temp control with the alcohol soaked cotton ball. If money is not a concern you might want to add a Automatic Temp Controller to your list. Finally I'd keep the injector on your list.

On the topic of the cotton balls, can I soak them in any kind (like Isopropyl) alcohol? I'm thinking about buying a torch like this http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/review-o ... oor-torch/ just for the fun of it. Looks like it's doing a decent job from the reviews I've read.

You need to get 90% isopropyl alcohol. Regular 70% won't get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a bunch!

Ordered the ET-732. As for a quick read thermometer, I was assured by my wife that I'd get whatever I want for xmas. I'm thinking backlit thermapen. I've cooked for years while I was "blind" (w/o a temperature reading), so I'm going to be relying on the probes more for the low & slow.

The most common I think is the kj heat deflector which I have and can't recommend enough as it Also makes an excellent pizza stone.

Thanks "onedershow"

Anyone know of any good deals?

What about rib racks? I found out that BBQGuys.com ship to Canada, so I'm going nuts! I am simply shocked to find that many options for rib racks and since I can't find reviews (Meathead mentions the Weber but I've read on Amazon that people are finding it's a bit too small), please let me know what I should get!

Get a roaster pan that has a roast cradle. The roast cradle can also function as a rib rack. As for me, the Primo XL with extended cooking racks handles a ton of ribs rolled up into cylinders. Weber also makes a nice rib rack.

All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as rib racks go, I would recommend a small rack (which is contrary to popular opinion). As CeramicChef mentioned, a rib/roast rack would be a good choice. I'll explain why (assume I'm talking St Louis Cut from here out):

Say you want to do 4 racks: just lay down 2 on each Vision grate. No rib rack needed.

So, say you want to do 6 racks of ribs. Now you need a rib rack. Sure, you could get a tall and robust rack (ahem) made specially for ribs to put it on the main/lower grate and you're done. Or, you could get a small roast/rib rack and smoke 4-6 racks on the upper grate and lay down 2 ribs on the lower grate. That means 6 racks of ribs that are better spaced out, or up to 8 racks of ribs total! This isn't possible with a large rib rack because it won't fit on Vision's upper grate (for example, the Steven Raichlen rib rack hits the dome).

Now let's push it even further (and also stroke my ego)...what if you want even more ribs?!

I found these two modest-sized roast racks from a home goods store. One for each grate. I was able to do 12 racks of ribs! This is when you want to make sure there are some leftovers.

photo.jpg

First, Jarett, you are the man!!! That looks awesome. I have a couple rib racks and lots of friends who like to eat them. I've never thought to push it quite so far, but that's gonna happen. Oh yes. And soon.

Regarding the heat deflectors, I just received the KJ Heat Deflector in the mail yesterday, and I was a little let down. I knew it would push the grate up a bit, but was unprepared for how high it ended up. I have a 14" cast iron frying pan and just ordered the Vision Spider (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-spider-1/). The bottom diameter of the frying pan is 11 1/2" and I'm hoping it sets right in. I don't know if I'm just being picky, but this heat diffuser/deflector is the one thing I'm struggling to get just right.

If this frying pan configuration works out, I might have a brand new, never used KJ Heat Deflector for sale. :)

• 4 weeks later...