New owner, what are the must-have accessories / tips?

Zukatah

I just got a Maverick 732 from bbq country today and used it tonight. It is really nice to know the pit temp and meat temp from the same device? I like the range on wireless. I now wish I had gotten it last year when I had first gotten my classic b from Costco. I would rate this as a must have accessory after having used it.

I have been using the vision lava stone for just over a year now. Works well, I currently have a hairline crack on it. It does not appear to go all way through. Just on surface. So far I have no complaints with the stone. I mainly use it for indirect cooking and I haven't cook anything directly on stone.

I just got a Maverick 732 from bbq country today and used it tonight. It is really nice to know the pit temp and meat temp from the same device? I like the range on wireless. I now wish I had gotten it last year when I had first gotten my classic b from Costco. I would rate this as a must have accessory after having used it.

Ditto. The Maverick is a must in my books, especially for long cooks. I just did 2 pork butts last night and slept like a log knowing my Maverick would wake me if my food or fire was temps got out of line.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd stop by and update for people who are thinking about getting started... so here's my story after almost 20 months of Kamado usage

In the end, I ended buying lots of things, so I'll let you know what I feel is essential and what's a luxury

KJ Platesetter - You need a platesetter of some sort to do indirect cooks. I'm happy with the setup, even though it brings the cooking grate up a bit (just be careful if using the extended rack to make sure everything closes properly before putting meat on). I'd do that one again. I certainly love that I can put my deflector on the "high" position, allowing increased airflow for pizza cooks.

Thermapen - Do you need something that quick? Probably not but I'd rather pay a bit more and get something that will last a while. I've used it for a ton of cooks (on the Q or in the kitchen) and other uses too (like making sure that the temperature of my daughter's bath is just right)

Maverick ET-732 - This is an essential. No way you can rely on that dome thermometer (it just gives you a ballpark figure) and allows you to do other things while doing a low and slow.

Grill Grates - Nice to have, they do a beautiful job at getting those sear marks. I've used them quite a bit for veggies too. For steaks, I'd rather not use the Grill Grates these days, so I get this beautiful colour all over and a fantastic crust

Injector - Have used it once, I think. I guess I don't see the need in injecting my food just for a backyard BBQ cook but I could use it at some point in the future...

A BGE ash tool - You need it for the Classic B

Too many BBQ books to name

To light my lump, I use cotton balls soaked in 99% isopropyl alcohol (I keep them in a Mason jar), I found it to be convenient and just a tad slower than Weber cubes. At that point, if I want to do a pizza or a steak, I just throw a few more balls in there.

I guess that as long as you have a Maverick, a meat thermometer, something to light your lump with, a platesetter and some lump, you're good to go. I think the Kamado was helpful in teaching me that you can't control every little piece, that some stuff isn't worth sweating about (sometimes, you want to cook at 225 and your grill goes up to 250 or 275, don't worry unless it's a brisket). So far, I've converted one of my friends to a Vision (I hosted a gathering where I smoked some wings for 10 guys, so it required multiple batches and he loved it so much he was at the store the following morning to get one). 

As for stuff that I'd like, I'm thinking about getting a XL Kamado (the Big Joe is in the lead right now!) and a BBQ Guru (but I'll wait to see KJ's offering before plunging). It's not that it's hard to control the temp but it does fluctuate a bit during a long cook and, with a newborn at home, I don't want to get up at night if I don't absolutely have to! I'll still keep my Classic B along as there were a few instances where I would have benefited from 2 kamados at different temperatures.

Anyways, it's a fun adventure and I have enjoyed the support and camaraderie from day one!

I'm in total agreement with Zukatah regarding what's a necessity and what's not. 

I bought the spider and heat deflector from the ceramic grill store for mine and I like them.  I dremelled the firebox to allow the spider to sit lower and not raise my grates any, I think that's a very worthwhile mod.  Only other mod I did was to trim the rear feet on the upper rack, they were waaaaaaaaaaay too long to begin with.

Also feel that the a wireless thermometer is nearly a necessity.  I'm in a position where I can set the vent tabs on mine and be pretty sure where it's going to end up, but it took me a while to get to that position, and even still, the piece of mind of being able to see at a glance what temp the q and the meat are at is worth the investment.