Blueberry BBQ Sauce

Have ribs cooking on Jr. To kill some time I canned a small batch of Homemade Blueberry BBQ Sauce. The blueberries came from the front yard that I had picked a few weeks ago and froze. I would have canned more but when I went into the freezer I discovered my son had put a serious hurt-in on the frozen blueberries :evil: I am not very happy with that.

post-2556-1375651099821_thumb.jpg

Over the last month or so I have made 4 single use batches tweaking the recipe to my liking. It is a sweet BBQ sauce with a little bit of twang and very blueberry tasting. Goes good on pulled pork sammie's, pork chops etc... It's got a high sugar content (natural and added) so it burns easily. Best used as a finishing sauce or BBQ dip.

Single use recipe:

1 cup fresh Blueberries blended in a food processor. Keep it slightly lumpy.

1/2 cup Ketchup

1/8 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

1/8 cup White Balsamic Vinegar

1/3 cup Sugar in the Raw

1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard

1 tsp Lemon Juice

1/2 tsp Sea Salt

1/2 tsp md course, Ground Black Pepper.

Bring ingredients to a boil and then simmer on low heat until the sauce turns a deep rich purple color. Simmer an additional 5 mins. You can simmer longer for a thicker sauce but be careful. Simmering too long and you end up with Blueberry BBQ preserves.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Have ribs cooking on Jr. To kill some time I canned a small batch of Homemade Blueberry BBQ Sauce. The blueberries came from the front yard that I had picked a few weeks ago and froze. I would have canned more but when I went into the freezer I discovered my son had put a serious hurt-in on the frozen blueberries :evil: I am not very happy with that.

attachicon.gifBlueberryBBQSauce.jpg

Over the last month or so I have made 4 single use batches tweaking the recipe to my liking. It is a sweet BBQ sauce with a little bit of twang and very blueberry tasting. Goes good on pulled pork sammie's, pork chops etc... It's got a high sugar content (natural and added) so it burns easily. Best used as a finishing sauce or BBQ dip.

Single use recipe:

1 cup fresh Blueberries blended in a food processor. Keep it slightly lumpy.

1/2 cup Ketchup

1/8 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

1/8 cup White Balsamic Vinegar

1/3 cup Sugar in the Raw

1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard

1 tsp Lemon Juice

1/2 tsp Sea Salt

1/2 tsp md course, Ground Black Pepper.

Bring ingredients to a boil and then simmer on low heat until the sauce turns a deep rich purple color. Simmer an additional 5 mins. You can simmer longer for a thicker sauce but be careful. Simmering too long and you end up with Blueberry BBQ preserves.

GOTTA TON OF THEM THIS YEAR ! BUSHES ARE LOADED GONNA TRY THIS

This year is not quite as good for me as last year but still decent looking crop.

Except we had a really weird winter and one of my three bushes died back. Only thing left alive on that Bush is 2 new sprouts coming out of my ground.

Still got 2 good bushes.

This year is not quite as good for me as last year but still decent looking crop.

Except we had a really weird winter and one of my three bushes died back. Only thing left alive on that Bush is 2 new sprouts coming out of my ground.

Still got 2 good bushes.

I got about 20 bushes loaded

I got about 20 bushes loaded

That is awesome. I've always regretted not planting more bushes.

Maybe next spring I'll redo that part of the yard and get some more bushes in the ground.

I LIVE ON 300 ACRES OLD FAMILY LAND. I WAS 12 WHEN WE PLANTED THEM NOW IM 40. I HATED MY DAD FOR MAKING ME DIG ALL THOSE HOLES NOW I LOVE HIM FOR IT!! LOL

• 4 years later...

Gots to love Blueberry bbq sauce! Been makin it for about 3 years from a tweaked Blueberry council recipe

https://www.blueberrycouncil.org/blueberry-recipe/blueberry-barbecue-sauce/

I also add a high quality Balsamic vinegar or a reduction of that and cut down on the Brown Sugar. Any balsamic works but I like to use any fruit balsamic. Like blueberry if I can find it. 

I filled a crockpot with Costco meatballs smothered in it for a Christmas party and it was a big hit so I followed it up with a Super Bowl offering. They couldn't get enough.

Thanks for posting, I’m gonna try yours with the lemon and mustard. 

Don't get any on ya!

3 minutes ago, Mccaf said:

Don't get any on ya!

You got that right!! Will ruin a shirt in a heart beat. 

It's Mrs skreef's favorite BBQ sauce. She asked me about it earlier today :)

On 7/13/2013 at 4:41 PM, ckreef said:

This sounds seriously amazing!  We have access to some Wild Blueberries later this summer.  I am excited to give this a try as I love Blueberries.  Thanks CKReef!