Billy bar

Mine still is doing everything I expected from it. I use it for the heavy-duty work, then come back with a Grill Wizard brush.

Mine is the wrong shape for the AKORN CI grates. When I used the gasser I used it all the time and it especially was great for getting the stuff on the bottom of the bars with the grate in place.

It should last for a very long time even used daily.

At $22 delivered I would buy another one if they made a v shape for the CGK.

Does anyone have one of these? I think it's a good tool to have and maybe no more need to buy wire brushes? Let me know what you think.

{C}http://billybar.com/{C}

Jrow

My grilling brush has been in need of replacement. I figured I'd give one of these BillyBars a try. Ordered the longer of the two. It arrived today. Looks and feels well made. I'll give it a try Friday afternoon and let you know what I think.

any updates on the B.B. guys? how they working for y'all?
I really like the billy bar it scrapes of the gunk real well and then I just go over the grates with a brush or paper towel and I'm ready to sear again.

I do a high heat burn-off, then hit the grate with a Texas Brush...easy peasy! The Texas Brush also works well cleaning GrillGrates. I have a BB (or another brand) type bar somewhere, but  find it too tedious and time consuming to scrub each rail individually. Over the past 40 years I have probably purchased 3 or 4 dozen  different grill cleaning brushes. The Texas Brush will the last one I buy. The cleaning heads are replaceable.

post-3565-0-03562800-1381077984_thumb.jp

I do a high heat burn-off, then hit the grate with a Texas Brush...easy peasy! The Texas Brush also works well cleaning GrillGrates. I have a BB (or another brand) type bar somewhere, but  find it too tedious and time consuming to scrub each rail individually. Over the past 40 years I have probably purchased 3 or 4 dozen  different grill cleaning brushes. The Texas Brush will the last one I buy. The cleaning heads are replaceable.

You could sweep out the garage and maybe fend off a charging javelina with that beast.

My dad made his own tool that does this out of a flat piece of steel about 10 years ago. The guy's an engineer... loves to "rig" solutions for things. Hell he'd rather have a workaround than something designed specifically for a certain job.

Had no idea a commercially made one was available. But I've grilled at his house and used the thing. It worked very well. So for those that have an Akorn or other grill this doesn't fit the billy, making your own isn't hard. I'll have to ask him how he did it. I think he used a drill bit that was the right size for his grates. Put a hole in the piece of steel, then cut it down the middle of the hole.

I tried to make a version of the BB my self several times. I just never found the right thing to use. Hand held scrapers are too thin. A screw driver is not really wide enough. The dandelion puller sounds like a good thing to look at to modify.

The Broiler Tamer commercial brush that Remoh recommended is great for the top part of the grate and will last forever. For the Akorn I use the Grill Tamer--then a narrow stainless steel brush to get in between and if needed a flat blade hand scraper.

Of course nothing will do as well as a burn off like Andy mentioned and that is the beauty of a Kamado --it is a self cleaning oven.

Has anyone tried the Grill Floss?  http://www.grillfloss.com/grillfloss_home.htm  Like the Billy Bar, it's a scraper, but it's designed for cleaning on a front stroke and back stroke, kind of hooking onto the grid rod from the side.  There are a couple of videos on their site.

Looks great, but just like the Billy Bar, it doesn't ship to Canada. Anyone else in Canada have a handle on one of these scrapers?

Best I can see is the Grillfloss from Amazon.com...but for double the American price after shipping/conversion fees.