Plate setter on the cheap - will this work?

LightningBoldtz

CC, amigo, I went to law school in 1976, and was taught by the Socratic Method. I hated and resented it at first, then I figured out what was going on and loved it. You can't expect everybody here to understand your method. In this context, you are not John Houseman in "The Paper Chase", and can't expect members to respond like a law student or business student would do in an academic setting. Teaching does not always need to be Socratic or didactic. I have learned so much from you, and have never been offended by your didacticism, but not everyone will respond the same way I did.

To the OP-

CC has years of experience cooking on ceramic, and is a professor in business schools. If he is a little didactic, take it with a grain of salt, look past what pisses you off, and try to glean what wisdom he has to offer. You will benefit from the advice.

I cant comment on the clips but ive used quite a few of those terra cotta pans and they work great for low and slow. Ive only had one crack on me and even then it split pretty much in half so I used it to create split heat zones. I liked it because the concave shape makes it a great combination diffuser and drip pan. Foil works great because you can peel it off and refoil for easy clean up.

Hey, it may crack the first time you use it (though I doubt it if you stick to low and slow) but they are so cheap its worth a shot.

I rank these right up there with fire bricks as some of the best money for the price ive spent in bbq.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I'm new at this stuff but knowing what those cheap things are and how thin they are, I would be careful. I dont know if they are made of aluminum or not, but could be an alloy that could be poison to the food especially that close to the lump where it will be hot. be careful and I will let other's chime in. I personally wouldn't use them.

I plan on putting foil around this and maybe putting a pie pan on it with water. It will be an interesting experiment to say the least.

If you are adding water to keep moisture in the cooker, it's not really necessary with the ceramic cooker.

In fact, I stopped using water in my WSM after a couple of cooks as well because I didn't want to have to dispose of all that greasy water. Just something else to consider.

Have fun and happy BBQ'ing!

I'm new at this stuff but knowing what those cheap things are and how thin they are, I would be careful. I dont know if they are made of aluminum or not, but could be an alloy that could be poison to the food especially that close to the lump where it will be hot. be careful and I will let other's chime in. I personally wouldn't use them.

I tried to research what the clips are made of and struck out. I have to admit I am slightly concerned with that. One thing I did do was light up some briquettes and throw them in the fire for a while with the hope that any possible coating would burn off.

I work in finance and I did a bit of quick math. KJ deflector costs about $55. Current setup, without the brackets, at around $14. It's over 25% of the purchase price for a solution that many agree is a long shot for any cooks that aren't low and slow. Don't get me wrong, I like to save money as much as the next guy but I think I would have saved that $14 to get me closer to my optimal solution quicker. That's my 2 cents but I'm looking forward to your update. I've been proven wrong many times in the past!

I work in finance and I did a bit of quick math. KJ deflector costs about $55. Current setup, without the brackets, at around $14. It's over 25% of the purchase price for a solution that many agree is a long shot for any cooks that aren't low and slow. Don't get me wrong, I like to save money as much as the next guy but I think I would have saved that $14 to get me closer to my optimal solution quicker. That's my 2 cents but I'm looking forward to your update. I've been proven wrong many times in the past!

If the idea is to just get the KJ heat deflector, I don't know if I agree. I bought the KJ deflector, and its not an idea solution. Certainly a good one, but its not perfect. I'm all for experimentation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If the idea is to just get the KJ heat deflector, I don't know if I agree. I bought the KJ deflector, and its not an idea solution. Certainly a good one, but its not perfect. I'm all for experimentation.

What don't you like about it? Still trying to pick the right thing for my classic.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What don't you like about it? Still trying to pick the right thing for my classic.

The KJ heat deflector sits on top of the fire bowl. Just know that your bottom rack will be higher by a couple inches minimizing the usefulness of the second rack. It kind of cuts the smoking real estate in half.

An ideal deflector (for me) would sit a few inches below the lip of the fire bowl allowing me to use the two grills as designed.

I want to emphasize that the KJ deflector is clearly a great choice and works for a lot of people. I'm just not sure that the puzzle has been completely solved yet or that it can be declare ideal.

I have a KJ Deflector. I also have a 14" pan and just ordered the vision spider. I'm going to try both.

The KJ heat deflector sits on top of the fire bowl. Just know that your bottom rack will be higher by a couple inches minimizing the usefulness of the second rack. It kind of cuts the smoking real estate in half.

An ideal deflector (for me) would sit a few inches below the lip of the fire bowl allowing me to use the two grills as designed.

I want to emphasize that the KJ deflector is clearly a great choice and works for a lot of people. I'm just not sure that the puzzle has been completely solved yet or that it can be declare ideal.

I have a KJ Deflector. I also have a 14" pan and just ordered the vision spider. I'm going to try both.

Please let me know how the spideer works. I was thinking the KJ was to high out of the fire bowl also but vision will void your warranty if you put notches in it to make the KJ sit lower which kinda blowz as that would fix the problem but I won't do it at the expense of losing the warranty. Was thinking the spider and 14" pan would work good also but have not ordered one yet.

In case anybody is wondering we are speaking of this item. http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-spider-1

Hi,

Please make sure the brackets are not "galvanized" - Zinc can be very deleterious to your health (unless your are Iron Man).

Marin, galvanized steel is used for applications outside so they don't rust, right? This is a part for a computer, why would it be galvanized?

Lightning,

My bad - did not realize it was a computer part - probably an alloy Aluminum (or Aluminium if you are in the UK or Canada). Should be safe.